Problems installing new nForce 9.64 drivers...

motolube

Gawd
I guess I should have known better and back up my files before attempting to do this but I guess the virtue of being patient did not go well with me. Before I go on a crazy rant, let me post my specs and give you a brief problem of what I am going through in hopes that you guys can get me out of the rut I am in right now.

Ultra Aluminus Case w/2 120mm fans
EVGA 680i SLI motherboard
OCZ 2GB SLI 1066mhz Ram
Intel E6300 @ 2.8ghz w/AC7 Pro HS
ECS 8800GT w/Accellero S1 OC'd @ 700/1000 Driver 177.83
Samsung 700 SATA HDD
Thermaltake 600w PSU

Everything was working fine until I decided to upgrade to the new 9.64 nForce drivers (i had the most recent but previous to this one). Installation began smoothly but Spybot Teatimer kicked in when all the changes started to occur so I exited Teatimer and Avast just to be safe (in the middle of the installation though, I know, that was stupid, should have done this prior), and even though it finished, I did the installation again, just to be in the safe side that neither the Teatimer or Avast had interfere with the previous installation.

Towards the end of the installation it told me that it had detected some other drivers and that it need it to uninstall those but it would continue with the setup once Windows had restarted. It started with the rebooting and right after the Windows Splash Screen, it faded to black (it always does this before it gets to the login screen). I went outside to smoke a cigarette and when I came back I was very surprised to see the screen was still black and it never got to the login screen.

This has happened a few times before and a quick hit of the Restart button gets it going again but not this time. I'd figure that it was probably doing some of the installation on the background before getting to the login screen so I left there for a long while and went to do other things... came back, turned the computer off, tried again to no avail.

This morning I tried going into Safe mode but as soon as I get to the login screen the mouse and keyboard are locked, I even tried turning it off, plugin in an old PS2 mouse but that didn't work either.

I went as far as to go back into the BIOS and setting it back to its default settings thinking that the OC'ng maybe had something to do with it... Nothing.

Tried inserting the Windows XP cd to try to repair it from DOS but it tells me that it can't read my C drive (perhaps because it is a SATA drive?).

I know the system files are ok because it does the self test post ok and it gets up to the Splash screen. I went as far as to creat a Restore Point prior to attempting this update but I can't get to it.

Can you guys give me a few more ideas? even though, a solution would be much much better :D :p

Try the "VGA mode" or "last known good" F8 options. Another option would be to boot from your XP CD and do a repair. Don't boot to the recovery console, keep going like you are going to install XP and you will get an option to repair your current install.

I did not try the VGA mode even though I thought about it.

I did tried the Last Good Known Configuration but this one did not work either.

I also tried the option of repair but, somehow, my XP CD did not give me that option. I know I have used it before but, somehow, was not there this time around and I went through it a few times. I'll ask a friend to lend me his CD to see if that one gives me the option.

Another little hiccup now is that after opening the case to see if something was loose inside, I have an annoying beep like when you had set the cables of the ide drives wrong so I can't even get to the self post, let alone get into the BIOS.

I am using my laptop to reply and I may get to it tomorrow after work, I feel like if I touch it now, I may burn the thing instead.

Thanks for the help though.

Some CD's like recovery CD's don't have the repair option. If it's there this is how you do it.

XP Repair install

Boot the computer using the XP CD.
You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive.
Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below
This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.
Do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).
Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.
Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.
Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.
Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Looking over this thread again I see you did NOT try VGA mode. Give it a try, I believe that will load windows generic drivers for the video and not the nForce ones. If your problem is mangled nForce drivers this should let you get to the desktop and hopefully fix your problem. If you do get to your desktop I would run the nForce un-installer and then reboot normally to see if you can get back to your desktop. If that works cross your fingers and install your nForce drivers.

I am in the middle of trying to save my data. A good friend of mine has a program called Ontrack EasyRecovery Pro that was able to see my data and I am in the process of moving it.

It appears that the bad simm module, overclocking + nForce drivers cause my hdd to loose its file system and make it become a wasted & corrupt paper weight.

After recovering the files I need, I am going to try to repair the file system to see if I can boot up with it, if this happens, great, I have learn a lot from this mistake. If it doesn't, no matter, I have my saved files and I will do a complete fresh install.

Another thought....

Is it a desilusional thought from me to update my rock solid XP pro w/SP3 to Vista 64. Since I had the issue with my Ram, and my hdd is in the Recovery Room stages (I am in the process of recovering my data) and, while I wait for the RMA to comeback, I am computerless so I figured I would buy 2 more modules of ram (being that DDR2 is cheap right now), upgrade to Vista 64 while I am at it.

Vista would be cheap for me since I have a good friend that works for Microsoft and can get me a fairly decent price but, this is the big pondering question:

Since I am a Gamer for the most part, would I be hindering my gameplay and fun just to get a little bit of eye candy with Vista?

Back