Problems installing Drivers

ALBPM

n00b
I've been running 2 Sapphire 6950s in xfire for sometime first with a clean install of the 12a drivers then with the 11.1 beta. I did flash my cards bios with the "Unlocked Sapphire file" before installing the 11.1 drivers.
I have been using TRIXX to overclock to 880/1325 which should be safe.

The other night I tried to go back to the 12a drivers because TRIXX worked better with them than the 11a. I did the driver uninstall booted in safe mode ran Driver Sweeper rebooted and tried to install the 12a drivers. The Drivers would not install correctly. I repeated the uninstall process and in safe mode even uninstalled the video adapter.

I have tried with both cards, a single card and have swapped my 2 cards around and no luck.

I also tried to go back to the 11.1 drivers and have the same issue. The Drivers fail to install.

I keep getting these errors -
error2.JPG

error.JPG

probably still something left behind with the 11.1a CCC that doesn't work with the old drivers.

Have you tried just installing the driver through Device Manager? Or using the AMD driver package but not installing CCC?

Yes both.... I tried the separate component for the 12a driver - drivers first and no go.

Finally managed to load the 12a drivers without errors finally. But I'm only getting a score of 4700 in 3Dmark11 where I used to get scores around 8800 back when i first got the cards.

I did have some problems along the way. After uninstalling the cards in device manager the top had the yellow triangle and an error code - "This device cannot start code 10".

I swapped the cards around reset the motherboard bios and installed the complete 12a driver package and got an error - it failed to install the drivers. So, I installed the separate 12a driver file as administrator and it finally loaded successfully. I then setup xfire in CCC.

However something is still not right as my xfire 3Dmark score is equal to a single card.

GPU Z shows both cards reaching 100% load however the secondary card seems to run 100% most of the time.

Ok, this is wierd......

Since the secondary card kept running at 100% load I disabled xfire in CCC as soon as I hit apply the screen image went out - just snowy noise. I re-booted and the screen went back to normal resolution etc.. Also CCC was back in xFire and the primary card was handling most of the load now and the secondary card was no longer running at 100%.

I ran 3Dmark11 and had an 8723 score so things seem to be working as they should for now...??..??

But i still don't understand why.....

The only thing different was that I installed TRIXX for overclocking a few days before I installed the 11.1 driver and then things went bad when I tried to go back to the 12a driver.

Back