Problems Installing any Linux w/ a GUI

sparky3009

Gawd
**Just now realized I should have put this in the linux section up above..... DANGIT!**

Not sure why but my rig does not like the linux GUI's. Im on my laptop now while trying to get gnome to work in Fedora Core 10 on my main computer.

Any live CD w/ a gui, I cannot boot into.... KDE.. Gnome... XFCE... none of them work.
If I use, say, the Ubuntu 'alternate install disc', it will install fine. When I type my usn/pass into gdm, the gui comes up and it loads it halfway and freezes. Server installs work fine, but as soon as I try to istall a GUI, I have the same problem. I get to gdm, login, and when loading the desktop it freezes. The live cd's wont even boot.

I tried using onboard, but it just gives a blurb about how xserver failed to load and falls back to text.

I have:
evga 730a mobo
5600+ am2 proc
2x raptor 36.7g in raid 0
1 cd/dvd reader
1 floppy
pc power n cooling 430w
7800gt
2x1gb ddr 800ballistix

The onboard video is, I believe, geforce 8200.

I cant find anything in Ubuntu forums, Fedora forums, RedHat forums, or any other forums as to why I can only run command line linux.

I have gotten a couple kiddy whompus distro's to work.... such as backtrack 3 (with vga=ask boot option), slitaz, some gaming distro that really sucks, and a couple other non-main-stream distros. Windows works fine... server 08, and 03, Vista, and XP would work if I could find the CD.

I was going to try OpenSUSE next to see if that will work since I haven't tried any Novell based distros.

Have you tried disabling the onboard video in the BIOS? Thats the only think I can think of (i'm a noob)

I should have mentioned that. I did. The 2 options are to leave it on the whole time or have it only come on when no vid card it in.

I also set default vga to pcix when the vid card is in.

Messing around w/ it.... after installing the nvidia drivers that auto update xorg.... I can boot if I add x11failsafe to the boot parameters.

I'm going to say screw it and just use the 'educational' server '03 my teacher gave me I think.

Im sick of farting with something that isn't going to work :-\

I also have to ditch my raid too because I cant get the drivers for the 730a chipset to work with server 03 and the server 08 I have is only a 180day thing.... unless I can get that version from my teacher. Which I doubt I could convince him to give me one.

Got frustrated last night but Im at it again. I got Server 03 running so I could use a terminal client to get into it.

I started linking things together... I just changed case/mobo/psu, and thats when the prob started happening. Last time I checked, case and psu wouldn't cause a problem like this (teehee). So since my rig is basically identical as before, the only different operational part is the mobo. Well I never updated the BIOS. I downloaded that on here when I was away from home today, but obviously couldn't do it til I got home. I'm going to update it now and give a stab at it.

If I don't update this post at all for the rest of the night... then the BIOS update went kiddy whompus on me. Lets hope that doesn't happen.

Back