Problems getting networking to work in Kubuntu 6.10

I recently built a new computer with a Core 2 Duo 6600 so I decided to install Kubuntu 6.10 64-bit. It starts up ok, but networking is not functioning correctly. First of all, I have an ASUS P5B deluxe, which has two ethernet adapters, but Kubuntu only see one. Second, I can't get the ethernet port it does see to acquire an ip using DHCP.

I thought it might be a driver issue so I downloaded the Marvell Linux driver from ASUS, but when I type ./install.sh, I get a message saying 'syntax error 69 unexpected "(" '. I briefly looked over the install script and I don't see any mistakes, but I might have missed something. Continuing on, I set up eth0 to use DHCP using the network connections GUI. I then set the gateway to 192.168.2.1, which is the address of my US Robotics 5461 wireless router. Still, I can't acquire an address.

Any ideas? Is it possible that Linux is only picking up my PCI ethernet adapter, which has no cable running to it, instead of picking up the PCI-E adapter?

Thanks

I wish I could help you out, but my experience in this kind of problem is pretty much non-existent. My Ubuntu install found my ethernet card right away. I will say this though, you should search or ask around in the Absolute Beginner Talk section of the Ubuntu forums. I've seen many people asking for networking help there, whether it's wired or wireless. You'll probably get a much quicker response, and almost everybody there is very friendly.

That's not to say it can't happen here, but with that being ALL Ubuntu Linux talk, and tons of users, it's a lot more active.

Seems everyone is having problems with networking in edgy. Found a work around that works for my wireless: Turn the device off then back on (software wise) and it will work... big pain :/

what is the output of lspci
that will show if linux has detected the NIC

what is the output of lsmod

that will show if the right kernel modules are loaded

I figured it out. For some reason, Edgy is only detecting my PCI ethernet adapter and the Marvell drivers for Linux are crap because they use sk98lin. I just plugged a cable in my PCI adapter and disabled the PCI adapter in Windows XP so it won't get confused. I've heard that I can use a different network setup to get my PCI-E adapter working, but it involves tinkering with the drivers and I have a workable solution now.

I had a much bigger problem getting Nvidia drivers to work. It turns out that it was because the xserver-org-dev package is not installed by default. Once I installed that package and reran the Nvidia installer, everything works. I don't understand why the xserver package isn't installed by default.

The -dev package contains files required to compile stuff related to the x server (such as the nvidia drivers). It is however not required to run the x server or things using it; That's handled by the xserver-org package.

For the record, I think having a separate -dev package is silly. But that's probably the FreeBSD habits speaking.

ok first the nvidia drivers can be installed with sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx as long as you have the repository enabled. This will install the appropriate packages required. Also you may need to change the driver option in your xorg.conf from "nv" to "nvidia".

The dev packages how ever are packages required for compiling packages, they usually contain header files etc etc etc.

Back