• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Problems folding under linux

munkle

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Jan 16, 2005
Messages
11,799
I got a new computer so i put linux on my old computer (its a dell, so its pretty quite so im going to leave it running all the time). I want to fold on this computer, so i got the linux exe and i run it in terminal but it just sits there and doesnt go anywhere

[01:21:42] Protein: p2011_BBA5_ext
[01:21:42]
[01:21:42] Writing local files
[01:25:02] Writing local files
[01:25:04] Completed 0 out of 500000 steps (0%)


that is the last 5 lines in terminal, and it doesnt change percent at all, its been an hour so far and done nothing, is it really that slow? my comp is a p4 1.6, 512mb ram.
 
the old p4 ones are really slow. those socket423 ones are almost worse than p3 in performance. dont worry about it. I have a similar p4 1.4 and it used to take a long time between frames as well.

also run 'top' in the command line and see if the core is running at 99% capacity.
 
woot, after another hour im at 2%, i guess it works, the cpu is at 100%, about 97% of that is F@H
 
munkle said:
woot, after another hour im at 2%, i guess it works, the cpu is at 100%, about 97% of that is F@H

good. I never imagined I would be the one giving Linux advice. I am almost as bad as marty in Linux. :D
 
Back
Top