Problems detecting 2nd Hard Drive on Windows XP Pro

ForBuilding

Limp Gawd
So from my sig, you see what kind of computer i have. I'm trying to install a 2nd hard drive which is a

SAMSUNG SpinPoint P Series HD160JJ 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA II 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

So I got it to detect on the BIOS and also on Device Manager, but when i go to My Computer, I don't see anything. I called Samsung and they couldn't really help me saying their hardware works fine with mine, but I need like a SATA Controller Driver. They supplied this explanation to me:

If you have an IDE Hard Disk Drive, it does not require a driver.

If you are using a Serial ATA HDD, and are experiencing difficulties installing Windows, it may be because of the drivers for the Serial ATA controller, provided by the controller card's manufacturer.

Problem:
The Windows setup process does not detect any hard drive when you try to install Windows 2000 or XP onto a Serial ATA hard drive.

Cause:
The Windows 2000 or XP CD does not currently contain the drivers for Serial ATA controllers.

Solution:
When starting the Windows installation process, watch the bottom of the screen for a prompt that asks you to press the F6 button to install SCSI or RAID drivers. At this point you should press F6 and install a floppy disk containing the drivers for the Serial ATA controller on your motherboard. You can also have the drive attached to a Serial ATA controller card and use the same process. The Windows installation process will install the drivers for your Serial ATA controller and recognize the hard drive so it can finish the system installation process.

So yeah, nothing there really unless you guys figured something from that. I also called Dell and they couldn't help me cuz the hard drive i bought wasn't from them, so they can't help me and yeah...I think they told me to stick in the new hard drive and take out my old hard drive and like format it? I will try that soon, but if you guys have any ideas, please reply to this thread. I thought installing a 2nd HDD would be easy, but it turned into a big mess. Thanks in advance for all your help.

yeah, that solved it. i didn't know you had to "create a partition" of the whole hdd and then format it to use it. i always thought it was plug and play. now i know. thanks guys. damn i should of went here first instead of calling samsung and dell, they wasted hella of my time, lol.

Back