Problems converting machines using MS VMM

jadams

2[H]4U
I'm migrating away from our over utlized ESXi server and trying to migrate over to Server 2012 with Hyper-V. Having some issues converting those VM's on the ESXi host.

I can convert VM's from a vmware server but first, you cant add an ESXi host to manage directly. You have to add a vcenter server which in turn will add your ESXi server. Well I dont have a vCenter server. So I guess my first question is what options do I have there?

Secondly, I try to run a P2V conversion on them using MS VMM and the whole conversion process goes smoothly. They're inserted into my Hyper-V console and all looks good. When I start them up they always hang with the flashing cursor.

any guidance would be helpful, thanks!

As far as I know you can't configure VMM to connect directly to an esxi server. VMware doesn't expose the API unless there is a vcenter box controlling them.

As far as I know you can't configure VMM to connect directly to an esxi server. VMware doesn't expose the API unless there is a vcenter box controlling them.

I figured thats where my first problem was coming in. I have an email out to vmware to get a tiral copy of vcenter but havent heard back yet.

So long time ago I used to convert vmware workstation virtual hard drives to hyper-v virtual hard drives using an app. It no longer works as its not updated I imagine the formats have changed over time. But that site did advise to install both an ide and scsi hard drive on the guest vm before conversion to load the drivers. its not working now when im trying to convert.

I also cant put the scsi hard drive on an ide channel in the guest im trying to convert. I'm wondering if this is my problem.

I tried ghosting the machine, but I cant run the restore CD on hyper-v remotely. it doesnt like the mouse input. I'll be going into the office tomorrow to try that.

It's kind of weird because in 2008 you could add ESXi hosts directly. Granted I never tried doing much with it but you could at least monitor it without vcenter.

MS has been really weird with VMM if you ask me. Why do I have to upgrade from 2008R2 to 2012 just to install VMM 2012SP1 -_-;

Ghosting doesnt work either.

This is ridiculous. How do I have no way of getting these VM's off of ESXi

Back