Problems connecting to home network

RicKuRuKuS

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys, I came home from the gym earlier today, and my computer won't connect to the internet. I have no idea why. I have a Linksys router and am using Comcast cable. My other two computers will connect, but not my gaming computer. I tried turning everything off and resetting the modem and router, still nothing. It gives me this message about my network connection:

"This connection has limited or no connectivity. You might not be able to access the internet or some network resources. This problem occurred because the network did not assign a network address to the computer."

After seeing this message, I press a button that says Repair and it goes on to attempt at renewing my connection and my ip address. Still nothing. I tried going to 192.168.1.1 and it wouldn't even connect to that. Windows Firewall is off and I am stumped at what to try, usually I can figure this stuff out, but I am having some problems. Thanks for your time and help guys. :(

-warsaw

Did you go to a command prompt and try an 'ipconfig /all' and see what it returns? It sounds like it's not grabbing an IP address from the DHCP server. Inputing 'ipconfig /renew' will try to get an IP address, which the 'repair' button shoudl do, but I never trust GUI utils.

If it doesn't get an IP, you might try assigning a manual address and seeing if you can connect to the router after that. Whenever I get the 'limited connection' crap, I usually have to reboot my pc, and sometimes reboot the router as well. I've got a Linksys WRT54G, and when you reboot, you have to unplug it for a few seconds. If I unplug and plug it right back in, it always gives me 'limited connection' until I unplug it for 2-3 seconds and then let it reboot.

it says cant connect to dhcp server... my friend told me that my network card went bad, but i dont think it did... how do i assign my ip address manually?

-warsaw

bump i really need help on this guys, why is the dhcp not renewing my ip address? that is the problem i am sure of it because i cant get a renewed ip address

-rick

warsawtag said:
bump i really need help on this guys, why is the dhcp not renewing my ip address? that is the problem i am sure of it because i cant get a renewed ip address

-rick

if you are getting a dhcp server is not reachable error, then it is most likely a hardware failure.
Do you get a green light on your nic? If it's not the nic, it can be the port on the router, or the patch cable. Swithc those around with the known good connections, and that should give you your answer.

Turn the modem and router off, and unplug for about 30 seconds then plug it all back in and turn it on, let the modem connect to the cable company, and then type /ipconfig renew in a command prompt and see if that works.

Back