problems booting windows xp

joeframbach

Limp Gawd
PC Chips M789CG mobo/cpu
800mhz processor
500mb pc3200 (yeah i know its overkill)

the bios recognize my hard drive okay. it idles in the bios at 40ºC. is that safe?
when windows goes to boot, it shows the screen that says "We apologize for the inconvenience, but windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this..... blah blah." so i choose the option "Start Windows Normally" and the progress bar goes and it freezes.

this HD boots perfectly in my dell 2350. i dont know why it doesn't like this new board......

......oh crap. that can't be the problem, can it? i know dell is a proprietary mofo, but they couldn't have gone this far. could they? or what else may be ailing my machine?

Did you reinstall windows? or just move the harddisk.?

If you just moved the harddisk and this is on a different chipset then its a strong possibility that your problem has come from that..

review this thread

or provide some more info

Now I have the same problem, but it is a brand new Harddrive. bought it just for this computer and it hasnt been anywhere else. should I do the same thing?

Thadius Dean said:
Now I have the same problem, but it is a brand new Harddrive. bought it just for this computer and it hasnt been anywhere else. should I do the same thing?

That same error on a blank drive can be caused by a lot of things.. check your cables, test your ram.. If you put a clean load on the drive and itsgetting that error its likely one of those things although it could be others

check ide cables? maybe chipset drivers? or perhaps the ps isnt giving you enough juice?

Well, I'm using a 550W Antec PSU so I don't think that is the problem :p
I checked the cables, pushed on them a little bit. Took out and put back in the RAM.

The thing is I had three options: safe mode, last known good config or w/e, and normal. I had tried the last two and those frose so I started in safe mode this time. that worked, so I restarted with last known good config and now it is working also...

I had uninstalled the catalyst drivers and put in the omega drivers, and this error had popped up twice saying that my x850xt had not been tested to be compatible with XP. I assumed that it was so I just went on with the installation. could my drivers be the problem?

Back