Problems again with Senn HD555s

Ovreel

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 23, 2008
Messages
292
RMA'd the first pair cause of crackling, now the 2nd pair is hissing. Not sure what the deal is with my luck here, but it seems Sennheiser isn't for me.

Now, do you guys think I should RMA them again? Or go for a different pair..

Edit: Maybe it's the motherboard onboard sound causing these problems?
 
RMA'd the first pair cause of crackling, now the 2nd pair is hissing. Not sure what the deal is with my luck here, but it seems Sennheiser isn't for me.

Now, do you guys think I should RMA them again? Or go for a different pair..

Edit: Maybe it's the motherboard onboard sound causing these problems?

Well its up to you , at your point I would be pissed at Sennheiser and probably would switch to a different set. There are tons of choices but they all depend on your budget.
 
Well those cost $100, so anywhere around there, give or take 50-75 etc. But yeah, I'm disappointed with sennheiser at this point
 
I don't think the headphones are at fault.

Try another source, onboard sound isn't the highest quality of outputs (has random PC noise all over the place).

Do you have a CD player or MP3 player you could test the headphones on?
DVD player connected to a Home Theater reciever perhaps?

Try it on a better quality source, and then consider RMA.
 
Hissing how loud? Depending on amplitude, the motherboard grounding / noise floor could well be responsible.

Try muting your line in and microphone inputs as well...sometimes this helps, but it's mostly a Creative thing.
 
Well I have my speakers plugged into the line in and microphone inputs, and I plug the headphones into the speakers. To test it out though I unplugged the speakers and plugged the headphones directly into the motherboard and I was still getting the same hissing and crackling, so I'm not really sure anymore. Though the speakers themselves hiss and crackle sometimes as well, and they're newer than the headphones even.
 
Just tested them on my ipod, and yes, they're crackling :|


Suggestions on a new set/brand maybe?
 
Beyerdynamic DT770 // Audio Technica ATH AD700 // Audio Technica ATH A700

are all headphones in the same range, and are in fact better than the HD555.
 
I was looking at the Sennheiser HD280s today, which look pretty comfortable and reviews seem good, but I'm leary about Sennheiser now.

I've never heard of Beyerdynamic
 
Sennheiser is fine, you just got unlucky twice, which is relatively rare but still...

I have the PMX-100s and the HD-555s and have had no problem with either. You probably have just as good of a chance of getting a lemon from Beyerdynamic, Audotechnica, Denon, Ultimate Ears, etc. as you would from Sennheiser.

You can get the 555s for $106 shipped w/ a $30 MIR through Amazon (J&R Music/Computer World). Promotion ends Sept. 30 (also, I think they sell the 595s for $179.99 and the $30 MIR applies to that as well....just a thought).

I'd also look into the ATH-A700s though.
 
Been looking at the ATH-A700s, they don't look all that comfortable to me. Has anyone heard anything about the HD-280s? Or should I just RMA these 555s, again.
 
Back
Top