problems after SP2 update, Yes/ NO

• yes problems

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • no problems

Votes: 101 64.7%
  • gonna wait

Votes: 20 12.8%

• Total voters
I had problems with explorer crashing due to DEP. I just reformayed and am going to stick with SP1.

chinoquezada said:
um... tweaking and untweaking?

You mean you tweaked xp sp2 and you got blue screens afterwards, SO you untweaked?

reversed some tweaking and had to screw around with settings for it to work

Took two installs, but I don't blame SP2 for the first. My startup programs were screwy, and McAfee AV would load the tray icon but would never start the AV service, I'd have to do it automatically. I blame MAV, mostly because it was version 6 which is a pain to get properly working on XP, much less SP2. Went out, bought MAV 8, and so far I've had ZERO problems related to SP2.

I guess I should mention, though, that I build a slipstream install CD and started fresh....

SP2 is A-okay by my standards. I like there pop-up blocker. I used to use the google one, but it didnt block everything. The MS one gets just about everything. Other then that it works great. I installed in 2 different environments. Not a single issue. THe only thing I had to update after i got SP2 was my Symantec Norton AV 9 Corp. it needed a patch so the security center can read it.

Not a single problem on all computers upgraded to SP2

The people having trouble with it are usually computer illterate's that have 26 freeware programs running in their systray and like to blame SP2 for their n00bness.

C4rniV0r said:
Not a single problem on all computers upgraded to SP2

The people having trouble with it are usually computer illterate's that have 26 freeware programs running in their systray and like to blame SP2 for their n00bness.

Wrong.

There are problems with sp2. You have DEP crashes on a64, software incompatibility, a weird "surge on hub port" error on old machines, etc....
Most of the blame of this is of course to manufacturers and their drivers, and software vendors...

You see, you cant say everyone who has probs with sp2 is a noob... Thats just not true...

Now the people who blame MS for this problems, well... thats a differente story altogether...

the only thing holding me back from sp2 is the firewall, i rather not have one conflicting with norton internet secuirty.. can it be turned off?

CrombieKid said:
the only thing holding me back from sp2 is the firewall, i rather not have one conflicting with norton internet secuirty.. can it be turned off?

Yep. :)

CrombieKid said:

Yes, there is a way... as OldPueblo said...

But trying not to go off topic... Norton Internet Security isnt that much of a good firewall, its not bad but... there are better alternatives... Zonealarm Pro, Kerio.... Even windows firewall defends itself pretty well when compared to NIS...

Sorry for the off topic...

I used my kids computer as a guinea-pig. Its an Athlon 950 (@ 1123mhz), 512mb pc133, Windows XP pro (upgrade from win98se).
SP2 is working fine, no issues. I'm using Zonealarm for a firewall though, not the windows one.
I'm going to wait on my main rig a little longer though. ;)

On the norton note: It IS user friendly.......something Bill Gates should pay attention to.

Back