Problems adding ram to Lenovo Thinkpad Edge

drago010

n00b
I have a thinkpad edge with 4gb of ram and bought another 4gb stick of ram for the second slot, but after installing, it still says that the laptop only has 4gb of total ram. Is this just a display error or is it not recognizing the other stick? Any suggestions?

A quick google search reveals (at least to me) that your laptop can only recognize 4gb RAM to begin with.

When I googled the problem it said that Windows 7 32-bit version only supported 4gb, but 64-bit could go higher and that is what I have on the laptop.

Note sure which model you have, but the different versions have different maximum memory limitations. The AMD based L625 only supports a maximum of 4GB (limitation of memory controller on CPU), for example, while newer Intel models support 8GB maximum.

So it depends on your particular model which you didn't provide. The Edge series has many different models using a few different platforms.

Looks like it supports 8gigs. Make sure the module's voltage and speed is matched. Reset the Dimms and make sure they are securely inserted

Back