problems 9800se --> 9800pro

Goride

Limp Gawd
Well i got one of those powercolor 9800se cards, and tried to softmod it using w1zzards's and omega's drivers.

When i first installed the card, i put the wizzard drivers on and i ran 3Dmark03 and it was flawless and i got a score of like 5674 or somewhere around there.

I was very pleased. Then i started to play a game (lineage 2) and it looked great no problems then after a few hours of playing i started to notice some VERY minor artifacts, in the chat menu, and in the other menus, but no where else, not in the game area. I thought at first, no big deal, i could barely even see it when i was trying to look for them.

Then i played a bit longer and went to sleep (shut down)

I tried out UT2K4 demo, and i was getting massive checkerboarding. Then i tried lineage 2 again and i was getting massive checkerboarding. I tried 3Dmark04 and was getting massive checkerboarding.

I uninstalled wizzard's drivers and tried omega's... no luck. I switched back to normal catalyst 4.3 drivers for now (they were all 4.3 drivers btw).

Why was it able to run flawless like that in those programs, but then become checkerboarded very bad in the same programs since? Is there any hope for me, heh?

Yeah but its weird, it worked perfect at first and now with the same drivers and no changes that I have made whatsoever, it gets horrendous checkerboarding.

The way I understood about softmodding was either it works or it will not work. Not works one day then stops working. :(

hm.... wierd, I just got the exact same problem. I got my card 2 days ago, first day, it worked flawlessly softmodded. Next day, I see massive checkerboards.... I think this is a pattern?

There are no guarantees on softmods. If it craps out, it craps out. It's weird that it would do this, but you didn't pay for a normal 9800, so if doesn't work, there's no reason to complain.

Originally posted by MemoryInAGarden
There are no guarantees on softmods. If it craps out, it craps out. It's weird that it would do this, but you didn't pay for a normal 9800, so if doesn't work, there's no reason to complain.

:rolleyes: whats with the hostility? were just asking for help. Im sure were not the only ones, and im pretty sure others have fixed this issue.

I had a very similar problem with my sapphire radeon 9800 pro card and discovered it was heat related (specifically the RAM on the vid card) the ram has no heatsinks and upon playing graphic intensive games it would artifact after it warmed up... I cured it by placing a single fan blowing directly at the card...no more problems.

flashin the bios to pro bios might help. (make sure to get the correct one n backup the original) n get zalman.
did u get 2.8ns hynix ram? my mem maxs out around 360.

Sorry for the bump of an old thread, but it seemed that hardforums went down around this time, and i only recently found out that they are back up :)

Has anyone found perhaps any other things I could try other than putting a fan on it? Has anyone else found this to work? Its really hard for me to accept that it was working perfectly one day and now it doesnt :(

And I know I took a gamble and it seems as though I lost.. and I wouldnt be such a sore loser if it just didnt work the first try. But it worked for at least like 8 hours right up until i shut it down the first day... and never again has it worked right.

Back