Problem?

Timm

Limp Gawd
Hey guys,

So I've been having some trouble lately with my comp. At first I thought it might be caused by the old and possibly corrupted hard drive I had my OS installed on but after replacing said drive the problem persists. Alright here's the issue. My computer has been freezing at what I might say random moments but it tends to occur when I am watching HD movies. I have 3 monitors and enjoy multitasking so I usually throw up a movie on one screen and do the rest of my computing on the others. Well, before when I ran a movie in Media Player Classic and then loaded a youtube video the comp would crash. This also happened when I loaded WoW. So I avoided YouTube and if I played WoW I had to do it without a movie. But then the problem started occuring when MPC wasn't even open, or when I was ONLY running MPC. This is when things got frustrating, because now I was getting limited to doing one thing safely. I have tried reinstalling windows several times to try and troubleshoot but I am at a loss. I have used MPC for years and never had this issue. (Oh and when I say freeze I mean the comp just freezes and won't come out of it. I have to hit the reset button.)

So I'm at a loss. The only thing I can think of it being is my motherboard or cpu. I'm leaning more towards my motherboard but I don't know enough about mobo's to be sure. I would blame it on software but I don't use anything unusual. MPC is pretty popular and I run Firefox.

Here's my setup

Mobo: GA-EP45-UD3R
CPU: Q6600
RAM: G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1000
HDD: OS HDD: Seagate 80GB
Storage 1: WD 640GB
Storage 2: WD 1.5TB
GPU: 4850X2 2GB

Oh and nothing is OCed. I have optimized defaults loaded. Please let me know if you need anymore information :) I would love to be able to get my computer back in shape or figure out if I need to replace something. I WANT MY BABY BACK ;)

Thanks guys,
Timm

Check memory timings on bios to be exactly what those sticks of ram support, also, whats your power supply brand and model?

Check memory timings on bios to be exactly what those sticks of ram support, also, whats your power supply brand and model?

I will check that once I get back to my room. Didn't know it off the top of my head :)

Sounds like a video card/driver issue.

I must admit that the problem did seem to crop up after I installed the proper drivers for my card. I thought maybe it was the new driver version but I uninstalled the drivers, then used Driver Sweeper to remove anything left over, and then installed an earlier version that I had not had any trouble with. Oh I am also running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, and did install the 64bit drivers. It does seem likely that the drivers are the issue, but wouldn't reverting to an older version fix that?

Thanks for the quick replies guys!

Back