Problem with Zalman 7700-cu

Namork

Limp Gawd
I'm using an Abit AV8 mobo, an Athlon 64 3500 and the Zalman 7700-cu HSF. Problem is, my temps shot up instead of down with it. Idling I stay around 45 and I max out around 51 or so. Just using the stock HSF I was around 25 idle and 44 under a load. I know I did something wrong in applying the right amount of thermal paste, but I can't figure out what the right amount is. I've been experimenting with with it all day but my temps never change.

I started out putting on only as much as a grain of rice and spreading it around the CPU evenly with my credit card like I'd heard of people doing with some success, but that appears to not be going so well. Any advice?

I can't figure this out for the life of me. The heatsink is relatively cool to the touch, even with the stresstest humming away and the CPU being reported at 60 C and Prime95 crapping out. I followed all the directions and it's screwed in tight. Re-applied the thermal paste by just putting a small bit in the center and screwing in the heatsink like that arctic silver link recommended. Temps are still exactly the same. Each time I do this I completely clean the surfaces with rubbing alchohol. Any more ideas?

If ur cpu is running hot, ur heatsink should be hot, or at least warm.

Does it run 100% stable? then maybe the cpu temp are reported incorrectly. Otherwise reinstall the hsf. When u took the hsf off, did the cpu have the thermal paste on all evenly?, and do u also have the thermal paste printed on the hsf evenly when u took of the hsf? cos u said "Re-applied the thermal paste by just putting a small bit in the center and screwing in the heatsink like that arctic silver link recommended." but u should have the thermal paste evenly on the cpu, not just in the middle.. but if the cpu n hsf touch perfectly it should be ok tho.

I was thinking of upgrading to your setup, with prob A64 3000+ so i'll be interested in ur o/c result.

Do you have the 3500+ clawhammer? If so, there is a tendency for thermal sensors to detect it as running hotter than it actually is. Are you able to pass Prime running with the stock box cooler? When you cleaned off your CPU and heatsink the second time, did you follow AS's instructions, and use something like coffee filters, or other lint free products? Did you make sure that you followed the instructions to put the new cooler on properly? The clearance between the bottom of the clip that you're screwing down and the motherboard is 13.5mm. Check your clearance with a ruler, just to make sure that it's as tight as it should be.

Chaballaman said:
If ur cpu is running hot, ur heatsink should be hot, or at least warm.

Does it run 100% stable? then maybe the cpu temp are reported incorrectly. Otherwise reinstall the hsf. When u took the hsf off, did the cpu have the thermal paste on all evenly?, and do u also have the thermal paste printed on the hsf evenly when u took of the hsf? cos u said "Re-applied the thermal paste by just putting a small bit in the center and screwing in the heatsink like that arctic silver link recommended." but u should have the thermal paste evenly on the cpu, not just in the middle.. but if the cpu n hsf touch perfectly it should be ok tho.

I was thinking of upgrading to your setup, with prob A64 3000+ so i'll be interested in ur o/c result.

The AS website is dead on accurate when it comes to spreading out the thermal paste; so long as you have the right amount on the CPU, and have tightened the HS as tightly as you're supposed to the thermal paste gets nicely spread over the core and there is little/no chance of bubbles. Spreading the compound using something like a credit card is not recommended for A64s or P4s.

Back