Problem with XP User Permissions/Virus

THRESHIN

2[H]4U
so long story short i'm trying to fix up my boss' home computer. its a total mess. running xp home, older dell dimentia.

anyways i've found that its a bad combination of virus/spwayre/malware/other crap. here's the big problem: i can't get an anti-virus to even install in safe mode under administrator.

tells me that the administrator (account i'm logged in as) has set permissions to prevent me from installing this software. trying to use nod32, AVG was a no go as well.

so like a good little geek i attempted to change the account settings - this is where the fun begins. i cannot access any user account settings AT ALL. i open user accounts and i get a nice blank screen. i also cannot access any user account settings through administrative tools, its not even there.

can anyone think of any way around this problem so that i can get the anti-virus installed??

and remind me to find the guy that programmed this crap and first compliment him on his work and then break his nose.

so long story short i'm trying to fix up my boss' home computer. its a total mess. running xp home, older dell dimentia.

anyways i've found that its a bad combination of virus/spwayre/malware/other crap. here's the big problem: i can't get an anti-virus to even install in safe mode under administrator.

tells me that the administrator (account i'm logged in as) has set permissions to prevent me from installing this software. trying to use nod32, AVG was a no go as well.

so like a good little geek i attempted to change the account settings - this is where the fun begins. i cannot access any user account settings AT ALL. i open user accounts and i get a nice blank screen. i also cannot access any user account settings through administrative tools, its not even there.

can anyone think of any way around this problem so that i can get the anti-virus installed??

and remind me to find the guy that programmed this crap and first compliment him on his work and then break his nose.

Hi, THRESHIN,

You can try the Kaspersky Rescue Disk, or a similar product. Another possibility is to remove the drive from the system and attach it to another and run the various clean up tools from the clean system.

Hope this helps.

Chuklr

yea i figured it was going to be that way...since i'm doing this between my normal job (mechanical designer) i'm trying to put as little company time into it as possible while still getting the job done.

well time to find a screwdriver and pull that drive out for an external scan.

Back