Problem with XP start up

New Start

Weaksauce
I have a PC running a relatively new install of Windows XP Home, it has been running great and starting up very fast for the last 4 months (since I bought it).

I have been connecting my Garmin GPS to my PC to download maps and waypoints since I got the computer with no problems until...
Last week I connected my Garmin GPS to the USB port and Windows tried to install it (even tho it's been installed and worked 30 times in the past). When this new install was done I downloaded my maps and unplugged it. Just for the hell or it I plugged it into another USB port and the computer shut off. That is exactly where the problem started.

When the computer is booting up, there is a 15 second pause after the XP screen and before the Login screen. It's just a blank screen.

This started right after the incedent with the GPS and has done it every time I've turned the PC on since then. I've tried hooking the GPS again, it worked fine, but the pause is still there on the start up.

Ideas?

Have you tried uninstalling your GPS just to make sure its not a corrupt driver ( or something like it ) issue? Windows hanging could be a bunch of things. The most common thing is waiting for an IP address from a NW connection. But if it started exactly when you plugged your GPS in I would start there.

Let me know, I'll try and help all i can :)

I can't remember if this is an option in Windows XP Home, but if you can, try the following command: services.msc

Follow this step-by-step:

1) Click on Start
2) Run
3) Type Services.msc
4) Look for WIA (Windows Image Acquisition)
5) Double click WIA and change "Startup Type" to Manual
6) Restart your computer and see if the problem goes away.

I don't know for sure if this is the culprit for your specific situation; however, I did notice on my machine that one time after downloading pictures to my computer the next reboot took forever. XP would boot fine, but it would sit at the welcome screen and no icons would load. After doing some digging, I discovered the Windows Image Acquisition service was at fault.

If this doesn't fix it you can always set it back to its default setting: Automatic. Just a FYI...I have two machines, one with it set to manual, and another with it set to automatic. Ironically, both systems still function exactly the same when downloading pictures from a digital camera via the USB port. This goes to show you that it really doesn't need to be running as a service since it knows when to turn itself on by default :D.

Good luck!

Also is the pause after windoze initializes? Could be your prefetch dir needs emptied.

Thanks for the replies guys!

The GPS doesn't have any drivers, just a map program.

Any drivers that were installed for the GPS got installed by Windows when I plugged it into the USB port.

WIA is already set to Manual.

Try dumping the prefetch folder. After that can you get me a bootlog? Also maybe boot it into safe mode, and see what file it hangs on.

I am going to try booting in safe mode now.

I just deleted everything in the C:/Windows/Prefetch folder. I rebooted and the pause was still there.

How do I find the bootlog?

Thanks!

Turn machine on, when its posting start tapping F8
Thatll give you the boot menu
You can do a bootlog there, or you can just load into safe mode, watch the files its loading go by, and tell me which one it hangs on. Thats prolly the easy way to go.

I booted in safemode and found that it hung on MUP.SYS.

Searching that in Google shows a lot of similiar problems.

It seems as if there is no real fix short of reinstalling Windows, which I do not want to do.

I guess I am stuck with the pause, it's not as bad as most other people's problems with mup.sys.

The first answer says:
"in Control panel (System- Hardware- Computer)from 'Uniprocessor ACPI' to 'Advanced Configuration and Power Interface'."

Under Hardware I don't have any "Computer" choice.

On the Hardware tab, click the Device Manager button. Then youll see Computer listed there.

In device manager, under Computer, it is listed as 'ACPI Uniprocessor PC', but I see no way to change that as the guy said in your link.

I reset the CMOS as someone in that thread recommended.

Not only did it fix the start up problem, but it also brought back my built in card reader that I haven't been able to get to work in days!

Thanks for helping bro!

Back