Problem with XP PRO Install

vtx_

Gawd
Ok so I just installed XP Pro on my sisters computer (POS HP)

I installed it on a spare 120gb hard drive I had while I left her 40gb in there so I could transfer some files after I was done. I installed the 120 as secondary slave so I wouldn't have to move the other hard drive around since I would just be removing it anyway

After I installed all the drivers, firefox, antivirus, spyware removal programs etc. I removed the old HD and moved the new one to the primary master and set the jumper on the HD. Now when I boot the computer it doesn't find any OS.

Any suggestions?

EDIT, oh now I see. Maybe try the BIOS settings, to set a the default boot drive? You might also want to try the HD on cable select or even without a jumper at all.

Tried them all already. Thats what I thought it was too... I just said screw it and am reinstalling the OS, since there wasn't too much installed already.

I made an OS partition on it this time so when she screws the comp up again I can reinstall without losing all her files.

When you removed the old drive it was the boot drive even though you installed xp on the 120gb. For some reason xp will always make the master ide drive the boot drive, it will put a few files on that drive and then the os on what ever drive you told it to install on.

Edit: Even with sata drives it will make the master ide drive the boot drive. I have had many problems with this as I use 1 sata, and 2 ide drives. If I don't disable the 2 ide drives the master ide will always be the boot drive when I install xp.

Oh I see, so in the future I should just unplug the master drive when installing an OS? Then you can plug it back in to transfer files?

No, that will just make a problem with there being a slave and no master, all sorts of weird stuff happens when jumpers aren't correct. Just make sure the drive you are installing to is the master. This way if you ever remove the slave their isn't a problem.

Oh I see, so in the future I should just unplug the master drive when installing an OS? Then you can plug it back in to transfer files?
Yes, with one change. You should put the old drive back in as the spare once the OS is installed and booting from the newer drive. Munkle was right, that in your situation, the boot files were stored on the 40 GB. A simple repair install with the 120 GB in as the master would fix the problem.

Back