Problem with Windows Explorer (I think)

Stormrider

n00b
My uncle phoned me up with a computer problem, and I went over to try and fix it up a bit. It is a real stumper though, or it is to me at any rate.

After fixing up alot of spyware and junk and providing him with the programs to avoid those issues in the future, he also remarked about another problem Windows was having. Apparently it didn't happen all the time but recently it happened more than not (the computer might work properly every 1 of 6 boots). What would happen is that any function that seems to utilize Windows explorer would not open but instead refresh the desktop. My Computer, Control Panel, the Search function, etc - none of these worked.

Now, it may not be any Windows Explorer thing, I just figure thats the element that allows all those functions to go through the motions.

He mentioned a botched install of SP2 and so I recommended he uninstall SP2 and try to reinstall it properly. If that doesn't solve the issue I don't think I know of any fixes. Apparently a friend of his came over and repaired it earlier from that botched install but I don't know what the fellow did (he may have made it worse in the end by doing it improperly).

My only advice for him is to format the small partition with his OS and then reinstall Windows and redo it all. I know that would work for sure but if there is a less drastic measure to solve this issue I am all ears. Any ideas?

Back