Problem with windows and remote shares

Sometimes, when I preform an action, eg, copy a file, delete a file, on my samba/cifs/what the heck is it called? share, explorer hangs. The server (linux) reports the error, "connection reset by peer). This seems to hapen after it starts the operation, as in the case of a copy, the file shows up but is corrupt/blank. After this, typically windows will report "the networkname is no longer avaliable" So far this has happened:
copying a 4GB file
(Updated samba via yum)
deleteing a single 8GB file
copying an 845KB file

It disconnects from all the mounted drives, nto just the one the operation was carried out on.

Are all the mounted drives on the same server? If not, sounds like a problem with your box.

Yep, all of them are in the same box, one is a 5 sata disk software raid array and the other 2 are 300GB IDE and an 80GB sata drive with the system and a shared partion for music. All shared with samba.

Yes this is needlessly annoying. It apparears to only happen on writes, happens with both directories and indivitual files, on both the raid and non raid drives. A look at connectiosn tells me that my main box establishes a connection, then it is teminated right before it tells me the network name is no longer avalaible. Also, it seems to ahve problems removing the file lock, as i can soemtimes not delete files that just failed to copy (The files are created, but do not seem to contain anything. Help!

Back