Problem with Windows 2000 workstation in a domain environment

asyncd

n00b
Greetings,

I have a network setup here. We have a Windows 2000 server and 3 Windows 2000 workstations. The server is acting as a DC and the nodes are apart of this domain.

One of the computers was removed from the domain and from what it looks like, the networking components were removed and reinstalled. The nodes are configured with a static IP address. The gateway, dns, and wins configuration is configured with the server's IP address.

I have implemented the correct settings on the node that we were having difficulties with. It was currently setup as part of a workgroup. I removed the node through active directory and then tried readding it to the domain. I got a username/password box asking for authentication. I entered the administrator user/pass and it took about 3-5 minutes until I got the message box welcoming me to the domain.

I checked the active directory computers on the server and the node is showing up in the list however, the dns host name field is blank along with information about the operating system version and service pack.

I rebooted the workstation and now I have an option to select the domain to log onto. I was able to log in as administrator and the domain admin password without a problem but whenever I try to log onto the domain using one of the accounts configured in the active directory, I get an error message stating "The system could not log on you because the domain <DOMAIN> is not available."

I then was able to logon as administrator. I tried the following steps:

1) Ping the server by IP address - successful
2) Ping the server by hostname - successful
3) Map a shared drive on the server - successful

There are no errors in the event viewer indicating any problems with DNS or WINS and since I can ping by hostname and map network drives, it appears that DNS and WINS is working correctly.

If I reset the computer account in active directory, I get a new error message when trying to logon to the domain using one of the AD accounts. I didn't write down the exact error but it did reference something about the account possibly being reset. I then had to remove and readd the node to the domain in order to not get that error message again.

I can't seem to figure this out. I can authenticate just fine when adding the node to the domain but I cannot logon with an account configured on the server. This node was configured with the same network settings that it was configured with before and the DNS configuration on the server has the correct A and PTR records still setup the for the node.

The netlogon service is running on the workstation. I was trying to research this problem on the net and found some information pointing to some hidden password that is setup between the server and the node for authentication purposes but am really having a hard time understanding this or if I'm even going in the right direction. I would prefer not to have to reload the OS on the node :) - Any help would be appericiated or if you need further information let me know and I will provide it. Thanks

-asyncd

Back