Problem with W2K8 R2 and Windows Server Backup

ProphetSix

[H]ard|Gawd
Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction, as I'm pulling my hair out.

Working on a Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard 64-bit OS, with SQL Server 2008 R2 installed.

I've setup Windows Server Backup (WSB) to backup nightly to a dedicated internal hard drive. I have SQL maintenance setup to perform a weekly full backup, with daily differentials.

Here's the problem: WSB is running it's nightly backups of the system to disk, and in the process, backs up SQL as well. This throws and error for the SQL maintenance plan that it knows there was a full backup done, but can't find it, so the differentials don't run.

I've gone back into WSB, turned off the Full Metal Restore, and manually excluded every folder/sub-folder combo that even has "SQL" in the name. WSB is STILL performing a nightly full that includes SQL, killing my differentials.

How do I tell WSB to stay the hell away from my SQL DB's? If I perform a manual SQL full and a manual SQL diff, it works fine. It's just the WSB nightly's that are killing me.

Any help in pointing me in the right location for a fix would be greatly appreciated. I've exhausted my Google-Fu.

Thanks.

No it's a service SQL server installs... "SQL Server VSS Writer"

Just wanted to do a follow-up that this fixed it. Thanks for the assistance D-EJ915.

Breakdown incase anyone else runs into this:

SQL Manamgent Studio scheduled maintenace backups were being overtaken by Windows Server Backup. WSB was performing a nightly backup on an '08 server, and was also performing a SQL full backup as part of it's routine. (Not intended.) This would cause the SQL diff backups to fail, as they couldn't find the full backup location.

Disabling the "SQL Server VSS Writer" service allowed WSB backu pto run without touching SQL, and the SQL maintenance tasks ran without incident.

Back