• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Problem with the ram?

Bbq

King of Charts
Joined
Feb 21, 2006
Messages
12,271
I think this is a problem with the ram, so that's why I posted it here.

My computer (specs below) is randomly crashing, at stock speeds. I thought it would be the ram, so I memtest86+'d it. No errors. Tried both sticks, one stick at a time, in all four slots, dual channel, single channel, etc. Nothing. Tried Windows Memtest. Nothing. Prime95 "blends". Nothing. But, it's still crashing randomly once a day, almost exactly on the 24 hour mark. It's running at 200mhz, but no matter what I set it to, it still does it, be it the rated 2-3-3-6, or 3-3-3-8.

So I thought it would be other hardware, but that's unliekly. The powersupply is ample, the cpu isn't overheating, the hard drives aren't related, and everything is sufficiently cooled.

Specs:
ASRock 939dual-sataII
AMD Opteron 146
OCZ Powerstream 420
80gb WD800
160gb Seagate Barracuda
G.Skill F13200GBZX (2x512, 2-3-3-6 1t)

Help!
 
sounds like a program issue actually.. virus perhaps?

run 3d stability tests? i see you didn't mention the video card :p
 
(cf)Eclipse said:
sounds like a program issue actually.. virus perhaps?

run 3d stability tests? i see you didn't mention the video card :p

Program issue? Just to be sure, I re-installed the OS. Still does it.

completely clean on the virus bits.

Video card? BFG 6600GT OC on a Thermalright V1 (running at 525/1050 now, but I had it up to 650/1500)

I'll try a 3d stability test. Any suggestions on which one?
 
Ok. Finished looping a few times with no problems whatsoever.


:confused: :confused:
 
odd.. :confused:

i presume the temps on everything are ok.. and that the voltages on the ocz are where they should be.

is it really every 24 hours that it crashes? can you describe exactly what happens?
 
(cf)Eclipse said:
odd.. :confused:

i presume the temps on everything are ok.. and that the voltages on the ocz are where they should be.

is it really every 24 hours that it crashes? can you describe exactly what happens?

Yep, temperatures are ok, never hitting above 51 degrees. The voltages on the Powerstream are great, I checked them out, well within spec.

Almost every 24 hours. Sometimes less, sometimes more, but generally about then. Usually, I'll be talking on irc, and then switch to Opera or Winamp. The screen will turn black, and then I'll see it booting up again.
 
i honestly don't know.. it sounds so much like a program problem, but if it's a fresh install....

try one stick of ram at a time, see if that solves the problem?
 
Just tried that, nothing. no memtest86 errors, no win-memtest errors, no prime95-blends problems, no 3dmark05-looping problems. Both sticks, in single and dual channel (all combos tried) and single sticks in all 4 slots.

Ugh. Is there something like an uncompatibility with this or something?
 
well, whatever it is, i really don't think it's the ram. that much i know for sure. perhaps once a day, something kicks on in your house, causing a power droop? or something related to day/night heat cycles? who knows :eek:
 
Alright. Gave it 2 days, with different ram (2x256 ballistix, running ddr400 2-2-2-5) and... nada. No crashes, no instability, no memtest/3d/prime95 errors.

Strange.
 
Grrr.. It's running the G.Skill right now, and it's crashing a lot. I left it on while I slept, and it ran perfectly, with prime95 blends running. I get on it, start Trillian, surf to [H] a bit, and then it crashes. The crashes are getting really annoying, and I was wondering what I could do about it.
 
Maybe software? Couldn't begin to guess where the conflict could be though. Do you have another HDD to play with? A fresh build on a fresh HDD would be my best guess at a solution if that's the case, in the absence of having seen what's going on with my own eyes...

If different RAM is making a difference, but only when certain apps are running...you've likely got a not-fun problem to solve. Mayhaps there's some cables running too close to the chipset devices and you're getting some crosstalk?

Another good software test package is the RSTpro from UXD.com. Typically I found that either RST or M86+ would reveal the weird errors, and rarely both. Far superior is their hardware card...the host system rarely, rarely locks up with that card running things even when there's millions of bit errors.
 
FullertonAve said:
Maybe software? Couldn't begin to guess where the conflict could be though. Do you have another HDD to play with? A fresh build on a fresh HDD would be my best guess at a solution if that's the case, in the absence of having seen what's going on with my own eyes...

If different RAM is making a difference, but only when certain apps are running...you've likely got a not-fun problem to solve. Mayhaps there's some cables running too close to the chipset devices and you're getting some crosstalk?

Another good software test package is the RSTpro from UXD.com. Typically I found that either RST or M86+ would reveal the weird errors, and rarely both. Far superior is their hardware card...the host system rarely, rarely locks up with that card running things even when there's millions of bit errors.

I doubt it could be the software, since I did do a format. I haven't thought of putting it on a different hard drive, but I'll go home and try that. No cables near the chipset.

UXD.com is pay-to-play. :(. Which hardware card should I be looking at, where can I get it, and how much?

Thanks for the help.
 
If the HDD was written by a system that's producing bit errors...it's conceivable that errors were written into the new build. <shrug>

The RSTpro hardware card is great, but ~$850. You *may* be able to get a copy of the software version, which works pretty well in some cases. Some of the module builders use that software as their first design validation test, for qualifications and even for failure analysis.

The CST guys have a free software bit (docmemory) on their website (simmtester.com) also. It's kinda junky, but I do remember one case where it found a bit error (correlating to system errors) that wasn't found by any other program. Remember, they don't call their main product the 'Cheap Shit Tester' for nothing...
 
Problem solved.



I bought 2x512 kingston hyperX CH-5. on sale, too.

(cf)Eclipse: I delidded the ram, and the markings are:

(g.skill logo)
C32MB31D-5ZX

There are 8 chips on each side, meaning 16 per 'stick'.

No bumps notches or cuts in the chips, except for at each end, on the sides of the chips, 4 white dots.
 
Back
Top