• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

problem with spdif and onkyo receiver

rtgordon

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 9, 2001
Messages
252
I built a htpc for my living room. I had a sb audigy, and i bought a mono mini to rca cable at radio shack and hooked it into the coax input (per the manual). I ran the test and only the left and a faint echoed right channel came through. I messed around with it for a while and nothing. I figured it was creative's crappy spdif that was the problem.

So, I bought another sound card with coax out for digital 5.1 pass through. It was a Philips I picked up at Fry's for $50. I installed it and hooked it up over coax (nice monster digital coax audio cable) and only the left channel will play through on the receiver. The receiver is a newer Onkyo TX SR-702 - THX certified - High Current - 7.1 - blah blah receiver (I am currently running it as a 5.1).

Any ideas what my problem could be?

Thanks!

gordon
 
Have you tried just taking a dvd player and hooking it up to your reciever through coax and playing a cd or something? Just try and remove some of the possibly variables of a problem... Hard to say exactly what your issue is.

I wouldn't put it past Onkyo to have a broken reciever... I've heard a few stories and had one myself with a... not quite working amplifier. (front right channel).

Also the card is 5.1 pass-through? Just make sure your source is sending a 5.1 signal. Not having your front right channel work though sounds like another issue.

Good luck.
 
Some of the first SoundBlaster Live! cards did not adhere to the S/PDIF standards and would not work without some messing with. But in the last couple years I have not heard anything.

I have personally used a Phillips (The Edge or something like that) COAX out to a reciever and a DAC, and they both worked flawless.


It sounds like the reciever may be having problems, because all the channels are going to be sent as one data stream, so it would most likely be an all or nothing with the card and cable.

Go into the Phillips mixer and see if you can toggle between PCM and Bitstream. The PCM will only send a stereo signal, but may help with troubleshooting. And of course like said single probable causes, try a DVD player or a different reciever.
 
Have you tried just taking a dvd player and hooking it up to your reciever through coax and playing a cd or something? Just try and remove some of the possibly variables of a problem... Hard to say exactly what your issue is.

I only use digital inputs on my receiver. The DVD input (setup for coax1) worked fine. I plugged the coax into coax1 to see if it was the second coax input that was bad, but I encountered the same problem.

Go into the Phillips mixer and see if you can toggle between PCM and Bitstream. The PCM will only send a stereo signal, but may help with troubleshooting. And of course like said single probable causes, try a DVD player or a different reciever.

I looked in the mixer tab and didn't see anything about PCM or bitstream (or in the help file).
 
I took the philips card back and got a santa cruz montego with dolby digital live. That is the only setting where the spdif works the way I would expect it to. It works nonetheless, and sounds pretty good to boot.


thanks for the help.

gordon
 
Back
Top