Problem with SATA SSD with hotswap unit

idea

Gawd
I'm having a little difficulty here and before I go too crazy I wanted to ask you guys what you think. I bought a couple 4-bay 2.5" hotswap units (SNT-SAS425) to use with my SAS 10K and SATA SSD devices.

The SAS disks work great but the SSDs are not recognized when inserted into this unit. They are recognized when plugged directly into the HBA which makes me think the problem is the backplane, but I can't figure out why that would happen. My HBA is an LSI 1068e flashed w/ IT firmware. I have read it has no problems mixing SAS/SATA devices.

I emailed support but I don't know how long it takes an email to get to China. You know how that goes. I'd have better luck RMA'ing it and trying a different brand.

EBSNSAS425_m.jpg

Have you tried hotswapping the SSD without the bay? Yes I mean to hot connect the sata and satapower cables directly to the ssd when in the os.

Edit: It does not appear to be a hot swap issue. Have you tried removing the sas drives from the hotswap bay so that only sata devices are in the bay when you test. Maybe the hot swap bay will not work with a mix of sas and SATA devices at the same time.

A lot of these cheap no-name hotswaps have chipsets to deal with the hotswap that won't support mixing sas and sata at the same time, and switch to one mode or the other.

Have you tried hotswapping the SSD without the bay? Yes I mean to hot connect the sata and satapower cables directly to the ssd when in the os.

Edit: It does not appear to be a hot swap issue. Have you tried removing the sas drives from the hotswap bay so that only sata devices are in the bay when you test. Maybe the hot swap bay will not work with a mix of sas and SATA devices at the same time.

Yes I have, the SSDs hotswap just fine when connecting directly to the HBA. I have also tried inserting just one SSD disk, and leaving the other 3 bays empty, and the SSD was not recognized.

guess I could play around some more to see if certain configurations work. I don't feel that I should have to though. I'd rather RMA the unit for a better quality one.

A lot of these cheap no-name hotswaps have chipsets to deal with the hotswap that won't support mixing sas and sata at the same time, and switch to one mode or the other.

Can you confirm that claim? If I was to replace these with a different model I would not want to make the same mistake twice.

We like the Enhance Technology model X14:
http://www.enhance-tech.com/products/multidrive/x14.html
but we have not tried to mix SSDs and HDDs.

If you have the extra 5.25" drive bay and
enough spare change, you could install two enclosures:
one for SSDs and one for HDDs.

Just a thought :)

MRFS

If you order a quadrapack, make sure you get the X14 and not the Q14, the Q was an older model that had some problems.

guess I could play around some more to see if certain configurations work. I don't feel that I should have to though. I'd rather RMA the unit for a better quality one.

It is not a matter of quality. It is a matter of fuunctionality. The function you want may or may not be implemented in any specific model.

The general consensus is it's not a good idea to mix SATA and SAS in one backplane. I'm not even going to test it out, it just seems to be common knowledge. I wish I knew it before. I'll have to find another backplane to use for these SSDs. Good thing I have enough SAS disks to fill up all the slots in the hotswap bays so they don't go to waste.

Do you even need to hot swap the SSDs? If not I would just velcro them inside the case.

Do you even need to hot swap the SSDs? If not I would just velcro them inside the case.

Well, to answer your question I like hotswap on all disks because I'm always playing with different configurations and it's just easier. But at the very least, I do like to have a home for every component in the system

Back