• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Problem with Sapphire X1950 AGP

JackTheKnife

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 27, 2006
Messages
272
I just installed that card in my friend's computer. Everything was OK till first reboot. Screen goes to energy save mode when Windows XP switched to Welcome screen. Any idea what is wrong? He has new 450W PSU.
 
I just installed that card in my friend's computer. Everything was OK till first reboot. Screen goes to energy save mode when Windows XP switched to Welcome screen. Any idea what is wrong? He has new 450W PSU.

What's the make and model of the power supply and some of his other specs would be nice to know as well.
 
ten to 1 its the power supply isnt beefy enough for that card... Im running a 700watt power supply and still wondering if mine is enough.
 
couldnt find that one over on newegg.com... but I had to replace my rosewill 550 cause the 12volt line didnt have enough amps.
 
PSU: Rosewill RW450S-2
Dell Dimension 8200 (BIOS A9)
2GB RAM
Win XP Pro SP2

I think you made a mistake on the power supply model, you meant RV-450S correct? I couldn't find any RWs not even on Rosewill's site. According to specs, RV450S-2 is a dual-rail which has 30a sustained/continuous power on the combined +12v rails, which on the surface should be fine. Unfortunately the build quality on Rosewill's power supplies is not the best as LordVampyre can attest to, so your freind may need to invest in a "quality" power supply. Generally, most $35.00 power supplies are not "quality" units.

However, his problem could also be something else which I completely forgot about. What version of the Catalyst Driver is he using? He should be using either Catalyst 7.6, 7.7, or the newest 7.10's. Catalyst 7.8 & 7.9 had some major issues if you were using a X1950xxx AGP series card. See Cat. 7.9 release notes below .....

Caution:
Installing the Catalyst software suite 7.8 or 7.9 on a system containing the ATI Radeon™ X1950 AGP series of product may result in either the desktop failing to be drawn properly or the operating system failing to boot. It is recommended to continue using Catalyst 7.7 for this product at this time.
 
OH I got my new one long ago.. and that poor rosewill sits in a closet at a girls house ehehehehe
 
I have the same problem with an HIS X1950 PRO, and replacing my monitor fixed the issue. I don't know why it did it, but after seeing that my really old CRT worked and my newer CRT didn't, it gave me an excuse to get a nice 22" LCD (which works) :)
 
Back
Top