Problem with Razer mouse

leSLIe

Fisting is Too Mainstream for Me
I have a Razer Naga Molten, about a year old, and I suddenly started malfunctioning.
The cursor moves and suddenly it stops working (when I move the mouse the cursor doesn't move) but the buttons, and the lights keep working properly.
When I plug it in, it works for 5 minutes and the cursor starts working intermittently and after 10 minutes it stops working altogether (buttons and lights still work though)

I've tried it on 3 different computers (Win7) and I got the same problem, with and without the drivers installed.
I don't know if the laser works because it's infrared :p

Any ideas?

If I had to guess, I'd say it's a capacitor for the tracking segment of the mouse. When it's first plugged in everything is otherwise "cool", but after that 5mins it's had enough voltage coursing though that cap to cause it to cause voltage instability.

Problem is those small caps are hard to judge as being failed since there generally aren't the same style of visible vents like on the big caps. Short of removing it from the PCB and testing it with a capacitance meter, it'd pretty much have to have visual signs of having vented around the base of the cap (which sometimes the flux-type stuff they coat PCBs in might pool near a cap and resemble a vented cap).

That's my theory at least...

Interesting, I shall open the mouse to take a look then :)

From one Razer owner to another... What I can help you with though, is that if your mouse ever starts to phantom-click while your fingers are even just resting on the buttons, after about a year I finally figured what causes it! >_< Those high-precisions switches get carbon buildup and become overly sensitive. Mine is an old arse Copperhead, but I'm sure they still use the same quality switches inside. Which if so, each one has a little removable plastic cap (a tiny screwdriver can lift the tabs up) and removing those reveals the copper leaf-spring. If there is black buildup, that's no doubt the cause of phantom-clicks! I took the copper leafs out to clean, but I'm not sure I recommend that, so probably best to use a piece of paper towel to clean the surfaces off :p Had that not worked I was going to desolder one of the side buttons I never use and put it in the LMB's stead.

Granted, that's off-topic, but it happened to a buddy's Deathadder as well, so figure worth a mention :D

My friend has this same exact mouse and hers is doing the same basic thing. Well, other than working for the first few minutes. Hers is just flat out deader than a dodo.

Seems to possibly be a common problem... :/

Back