Problem with psu or motherboard, don't know yet

Airbrushkid

2[H]4U
Ok to start off my computer shut off by it self this morning. I tried to re start it by hit the button on the front of the case. It did nothing. The light oh the motherboard stayed on. I next tried and turn off the psu by the switch on the back of the psu. Then turn the psu back on. The computer started up. But like minutes later the computer shut off again. So I tried to turn off the psu thru the switch on the back again, did nothing the light on the motherboard was still on. I next turn the power strip off and finally the light on the motherboard went off. I turn the power strip back on and the computer started up. And again after about minutes the computer shut off. And once again I turn the power strip off and back on. The computer started up. What can be the problem? The psu or the motherboard or is it something else?

Thanks for any help.

i have a similar problem lately, after many issues finally i realized that my psu is kinda dead, turns on fans and system but makes weird noises when any kind of load is applied, is a pcpower&cooling 750w and only 1 1/2 old but i opened it so i void my warranty:eek: but after reading the antics they do with rma refurbs that crap out only days later or doa's at your door:D no way ill be wastin money on shipping (hell its almost 50dlls:mad: i guess i need a new psu:D) think about it i really doesnt matter the brand all of them are made in china:mad: and when they die they just die:D

Short Answer - Replace power supply, problem solved.

Long Answer - There are many different voltage levels that the PSU produces, 3.3v, 5v, 12v, and then the negatived of each. Most higher end PSUs either use multiple 12v rails or a REALLY strong single rail. If any one of those is outside of tolerance the whole system will shut down. Considering your troubleshooting, I would say that there is probably a swollen capacitor inside the PSU that cools off when power is terminated to it, and then heats up like it normally would during operation, but since heat causes items to expand, it breaks contact and halts the operation. Most often times, erratic shut-off issues are a result of the PSU failing, and only seldomly are the motherboard. Use a brand with a high rating (4 or 5 out of 5 eggs on newegg.com and at least 100 reviews) and you'll be able to buy with confidence that it will last you for many years. Just make sure that the power supply you buy has all the plugs that you need for your motherboard, since some boards require certain ones that others don't. Also, no need to overkill your system; if you had a ~500w PSU, then you can save some money by replacing one with a similiar power output, or maybe 100 or so higher if you plan to upgrade your video card in the near future. No need to replace a ~500w with a 1300w, that's just a waste of money.

Everything is up and running now. I can say don't know what was going on. I decided to do a Windows update the last time I got it running. And crossed my fingers that it didn't shut down before it was done installing. Well after the Windows update it's been running with out a problem. Never had this happen before. Thanks anyways for the help.

Everything is up and running now. I can say don't know what was going on. I decided to do a Windows update the last time I got it running. And crossed my fingers that it didn't shut down before it was done installing. Well after the Windows update it's been running with out a problem. Never had this happen before. Thanks anyways for the help.

Just beacuse the problem is gone for now, doesn't mean it's fixed. As of now you're on borrowed time with that power supply, and I would recommend at least buying a spare to keep on hand for -when- it dies.

I would recommend that you buy a backup and RMA if possible

Back