edit:
i'll just try to explain it a bit better:
Everything was going good, rocken out to some tunage when I decided the time had come to rock harder. As I turned up the volume my sub just suddenly quit working.
My satellites were working but the sub wasn't doing squat. no hum, no nothing! I thought it was dead. I'd seen a bunch of stuff on the internet about caps and resistors going bad but everything looked fine. The problem was actually on the subwoofer speaker itself - the boards and fuses are alright.
I had the power on playing some music messing with the subwoofer connectors to see if I could get any kind of noise out of it. I noticed when I plugged the negative side with the positive already in, I'd get a noise as I was pressing it on - the harder I pressed, the more noise I would get. I figured something was up with the connector on the speaker then.
I took the driver out to get a closer look and noticed the solder job connecting the negative voice coil wire to the tag wasn't done so great - it looked like it had become loose. I pushed the negative side of the tag against the wire and I'd get a really ugly/staticy sound similar to a blown speaker. I got some solder and just put a decent sized glob over it. I still had an ugly static noise under heavy bass and I noticed the cone was actually just hitting the wire when the it was under higher excursion, so I just bent the wire and the tag with my pliers to give it some clearance.
I put everything back together and I had my normal clean sound back.
hope that helps somebody
----------------------------------
post:
I bought some used promedias off of ebay because I needed some speakers for work.
they worked fine for about 2 weeks when just last week while listening I had noticed that my subwoofer suddenly stopped working. I didnt hear it make any noises - it just quit. I've got the amp panel off - not too sure what I'm looking at/for but I don't see any exploded caps.
both of my speakers still work totally fine, it's just the sub
any clue on what could be up?
i'll just try to explain it a bit better:
Everything was going good, rocken out to some tunage when I decided the time had come to rock harder. As I turned up the volume my sub just suddenly quit working.
My satellites were working but the sub wasn't doing squat. no hum, no nothing! I thought it was dead. I'd seen a bunch of stuff on the internet about caps and resistors going bad but everything looked fine. The problem was actually on the subwoofer speaker itself - the boards and fuses are alright.
I had the power on playing some music messing with the subwoofer connectors to see if I could get any kind of noise out of it. I noticed when I plugged the negative side with the positive already in, I'd get a noise as I was pressing it on - the harder I pressed, the more noise I would get. I figured something was up with the connector on the speaker then.
I took the driver out to get a closer look and noticed the solder job connecting the negative voice coil wire to the tag wasn't done so great - it looked like it had become loose. I pushed the negative side of the tag against the wire and I'd get a really ugly/staticy sound similar to a blown speaker. I got some solder and just put a decent sized glob over it. I still had an ugly static noise under heavy bass and I noticed the cone was actually just hitting the wire when the it was under higher excursion, so I just bent the wire and the tag with my pliers to give it some clearance.
I put everything back together and I had my normal clean sound back.
hope that helps somebody
----------------------------------
post:
I bought some used promedias off of ebay because I needed some speakers for work.
they worked fine for about 2 weeks when just last week while listening I had noticed that my subwoofer suddenly stopped working. I didnt hear it make any noises - it just quit. I've got the amp panel off - not too sure what I'm looking at/for but I don't see any exploded caps.
both of my speakers still work totally fine, it's just the sub
any clue on what could be up?