Problem with PlayOn Buffer

Status
Not open for further replies.

defaultluser

[H]F Junkie
Hey guys,

On the advice of the forum members here I just picked-up a PlayOn Premium subscription. I run it through my HTPC using XBMC, and everything works fine except...

Whenever I pause the stream it only buffers the next 8 seconds of video, and then stops (until I press play again). This makes features like 30 seconds skip and fast forward worthless.

Before I bought the subscription, I read-up on several forums and got the impression that PlayOn streams would buffer for as much as you wanted if you pressed pause. Is that not the case, or has it changed recently?

So, over 100 views and not a single reply?

I refuse to believe that nobody on an HTPC forum has used PlayOn!

Further, the first rule of troubleshooting here is to tell me how your experience is with PlayOn, and what devices you have successfully used it on. I know maybe you don't have an answer to my question, but you can at least let me know what I should EXPECT:

CAN YOU BUFFER MORE THAN 8 SECONDS?

WHAT DEVICES DO YOU USE?

One more update: for a double-check, I ran it on my Wii (supported platform). Same problem!

Now I just feel stupid.

So I resolved my "issue"

It turns out that XBMC buffers 8 seconds locally, but the PlayOn server keeps downloading the file. What I experienced was actually poor streaming performance on a few Travel Channel shows, leading to buffering delays + no free buffer to fast forward. I misinterpreted this as "no buffer" in general.

It would have been a bit more intuitive for XBMC to show the buffer growing correctly, but it was also myself misinterpreting things :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back