• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

problem with PC

amdownzintel

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 24, 2004
Messages
201
Never had to post on here when dealing with my PC. I always knew how to fix it, but just recently I've come to a thing that I just can't figure out. Here's the problem...

At first I thought it was due to overclocking because it seemed that everytime my PC would freeze up it would be when I was in the middle of a game. First thing I did was change my overclocking attributes, both to my CPU and GPU. Same problem started to occur. I went to my event viewer and I saw that everytime my PC restarted windows "Security Center" has started. So then I started to think it was that and turned off everything that delt with the Security Center in XP Pro Service Pack 2. I just now noticed though that when I booted up this time it started right when I went on and nothing happened. So I'm really stumped on what's going on with my system. Could it still somehow be related with heating or something? Also I have all the newest windows updates.
 
"turned off everything that delt with the Security Center in XP Pro Service Pack 2." hmm. I assume you turned this stuff off under "services?" If (not or so, you may have not turned something off) Google on how to run services - look up on windows site what the security center is suppsed to do and then go about turning it off in services - if that seems to still be the problem.
Virus, adware, trojan check? (antivir, avg, adaware, spybot search & destroy - all freeware and good too)
reinstall or update to newest video card drivers.
Insure that the vid card is seated properly and that the power to it is connected properly.
Yes, it could be due to heat build up - have the case side panel off while running and see if that helps - double check to make sure that the fan is running on your vid card - and that the heatsinks/fans are not clogged with dust.
make sure the heatsink on the processor has not be bumped loose or shifted.
Good luck
a cmos clear may be a thing to try too (tho I dont think it will help...yet.)
 
I wish it was all that easy hehe. Yes I've done everything that you said and I watch my tempatures constantly which made me not think it was a heat issue. Especially when it froze up just during regular desktop use. I have no virus's or anything. I check those all the time, so I'm guessing it's just the security center, but not sure why it would do that. I also just now remembered installing an XP update from windows that supposedly fixed that issue. Thing is I never had that issue then, (I think so anyway) heh. I think I'll take that off and look more into msconfig in startup and see if I can find anything. Thanks for your help and don't worry I'll be here to tell you how everything worked out :)

P.S - Should note that this system has been stable for about 1-2 years now. This just started happening about a few weeks now. Also I plan on formatting soon, but I still want to know why it's doing it. Just doesn't seem to be making sense to me. Thanks!
 
I had a similiar issue. Computer would freeze randomly.
I ran Western Digital diags on the hard drive - the long "extended" test. It "Fixed" some things and now the computer's ok. Go figure.
 
Alright I did that thing from Western Digital, nothing. Anyway I looked in my event Viewer and I think it has something to do with this...

Source/ Name = ESENT Description is...

wuaueng.dll (528) SUS20ClientDataStore: The database engine started a new instance (0).

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

+ many many more things like it. Also says it started and things like that. Seems to be my problem I guess, how do I fix it? Thanks!
 
Back
Top