Problem with old computer. Changed hd and cd/dvd drives.

dissonance

Limp Gawd
My gf is getting my old computer since it's better than hers. I thought it would be real easy to just throw in her cdrw/dvd drives and her hd and format it and install windows. They're parts from her old Dell. First I noticed all 3 were in CS on the back. This appeared to make it not recognize the slave drive on ide2. I put cdrw to master and dvd to slave. Then I set the hd to master. Bios recognizes all of the drives but it seems to boot really slow, especially on the detecting IDE part and then after a good wait it starts the Windows install. After it loads everything up it says it can't detect a hd.

Any ideas? I've flashed the bios already and put default settings since I had them pretty aggressive before. I must be missing something obvious.

System:
AND XP 1600+
Epox 8KHA+
1gig Crucial PC2100

is the hard drive a SATA drive?? if so u might need to press f6 to install the 3rd party drivers from a floppy...otherwise, a stupid suggestion, but did u make sure u had all the power cables plugged in?

It's an IDE drive. The bios recognizes it but Windows XP install says no hard drive.

Well I think I fixed it as I am now installing XP. It was something stupid. It's a Western Digital drive and I guess I misinterpreted the jumpers. Looks like it says to put the jumper vertical on the third set of pins from the left. I found a spare WD drive and it had it horizontally crossing the bottom pins of the master and slave labeled ones. No clue if that makes any sense but everything appears to be ok for now.

Back