Problem with oc my e6600

jaded25

Gawd
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
667
I recently just built my water cooled system and here are the specs:

Intel C2D e6600
BFG 8800GTS 640mb
EVGA 680i Mobo
Crucial Ballistix 2x1gb PC2-8000 (DDR2-1000)

Right now I'm running everything at stock speeds and my temps are 27-28C idle and 31-32 load. Now I've been trying all day to oc and get the cpu stable around 3.2GHz but nothing seemed to work. One thing that confused me was that there are two settings for the cpu voltage. One is the cpu core voltage, which I have tweaking, and the cpu fsb voltage, which I just leave on auto. I have all spectrum and throttle settings turned off and I have the FSB and RAM set to unlinked.

My memory is rated at 5-5-5-15 @ 2.2V, naturally I set the memory voltage to 2.2V and manually set the timings. Now here is where I'm getting confused on. I raise the cpu core voltage to 1.38V and set the fsb to 1450mhz, which would be 450mhz on a regular board but of course evga had to implement a different system. Now this got the cpu up to 3.24Ghz and this is where I hit a wall. I can boot into windows but about 2 minutes after everything has loaded windows just freezes. I've raised the voltage all the way up to 1.4V and still the same thing and sometimes it would just freeze at the windows loading screen. Even when I go into the bios sometimes the bios would freeze also. I have the latest version of the bios on my motherboard but I'm pretty much at a loss here as to why I can't even get the cpu to be stable even at just 3GHz. Can anyone help me point out what I'm doing wrong here?
 
ok, boot into windows at stock speed. download orthos or TAT if your motherboard is supported. download cpuz, sounds like you already have coretemp, but if you dont get it. In cpuz check your voltage when idle and under load. If you are having vdrop you may need to push your voltage way higher than 1.4 (like 1.44) Try something lower than the 3.2 you are aiming for. Is your system stable at 3? Try 1300 fsb. You can use cpuz to figure out how much juice your cpu is getting and then figure out which voltage actually increases it in the bios.
 
I hope you don't try 1300 FSB... lol. Pretty sure that was a typo and he meant 300 FSB.

What's wrong with 1300Mhz FSB? On the eVGA motherboard FSB frequency appears 4x what it does on some other motherboards, so 1300Mhz would be fine. The FSB is quad pumped, remember?
 
yea thats only 325fsb. and your going to have to take fsb voltage off auto, its probably not sending the correct amount. computers are stupid after all. im not farmiliar with the bios of this board so i cant tell you what to set it at.

also what power supply and what heatsink do you have.
 
Yeah when I first booted up the board and went into the bios the fsb kind of confused me because I'm used to seeing three digits not four. Anyways right now I have th processor clocked at 3GHz finally and the voltage still at stock and its rock solid after 4 hours of orthos. I took your advice jarod701 and looked at the voltage while running orthos and noticed that it didn't go above 1.192V. I went into the bios and noticed that the cpu core voltage was auto set at 1.2V so I just raised it to 1.21V and here I am now stable at 3GHz. Oh and ghost6303 I have a corsair 620W modular power supply and I'm running on water cooling. Also the temps haven't changed a bit when I raised it to 3GHz its still at 27-28 idle and 31-32 load.
 
your default voltage should be 1.325... I'd try higher than 1.21 and see if you can hit 3.2 or higher like you want.
 
your default voltage should be 1.325... I'd try higher than 1.21 and see if you can hit 3.2 or higher like you want.

If its the E6600 we are talking about than his default volts should be ~1.28... I don't think that even if you raise your vcore to 1.4 itll fry your cpu, actually even 1.5 won't, coz with my mothervoard I can go as high as 1.8.
 
Back
Top