Problem with Nvidia Surround

Rae III

n00b
Joined
Nov 29, 2009
Messages
31
Okay, so I've just build a new computer, and I've been trying to get Nvidia Surround to work. I have 2 GTX 470's powering 3 20" 1680x1050 monitors. Initially when I went to set up surround in the Nvidia control panel, I chose the option "Span displays with Surround" and hit configure. After making sure my cards were plugged in correctly, I hit apply. All my screens went blank. After a few seconds the middle screen said that it had lost its connection and the left and right screens just stayed blank. I had to do a hard reset and unplug two of the monitors in order to be able to get back to using the computer.

After having this happen a few times, I decided to check to make sure the monitors were all running with the same settings. They were all set to 1680x1050 but I noticed that my middle monitor was at 59 hz refresh rate instead of 60 like the other two. But it had the option to set to 60, so I did so. I tried surround again and got the same problem I had before, so after I rebooted I checked the setting for the monitor and it had gone back to 59 hz. I set it to 60 and applied, but immediately after applying it went right back to 59. Since then I've tried this a few more times, I've tried setting it in the build in windows monitor configuration, and I've even tried making a custom resolution with 60 hz refresh in Nvidia's control panel, all to no avail. It still says the monitor is at 59. My question is: Does my monitor support 60 hz refresh and if so how do I get it to use that setting? Or is my problem something else entirely?

I'm using all Acer monitors. The models are:
Left - P201W
Middle - AL2016W
Right - X203W
 
According to HardOCP's first review of Nvidia Surround, "All displays must have a common resolution, refresh rate, and sync polarity."

Windows 7 has a 59Hz issue which can be fixed in the Nvidia drivers by creating a custom resolution like this:

- Go to Nvidia Control Panel
- Go to Add resolution
- Create Custom Resolution
- Click on Timing
- Click on Manual
- Set refresh rate to 60.001 Hz
- Press Test
- Restart Windows

Not having multiple displays, I'm not sure how this works with multiple monitors, but you would probably want to create a custom resolution for each of the three monitors to be sure they all have the same refresh rate. I do know you can also fiddle with sync polarity settings there, but I have no understanding of how they work and what the proper settings are; you may wish to see what the default settings for those monitors are and see if one is different.
 
Back
Top