Problem with new xbox slim and wpa2 security

Damn Dirty Ape

[H]ard|Gawd
Just picked up an xbox slim recently for the daughter and trying to get it to play nice with the engenius 9850 router. It's not working, well kind of.

I have a wpa2 preshared passphrase on the network and have mac address filtering set up for the wireless.

I went in to the filter and added the mac address from the wireless on the xbox, saved, rebooted the router, power-cycled the xbox.

Configured the xbox with the passphrase, it finds the network and id's the wpa2 security. Router is 'n/b/g'. With wpa2 turned on, and the mac address listed and filtering on, it will NOT pass the connection test. If I turn off the filter, but leave on wpa2, it connects.

Any thoughts?

Do you happen to have a Netgear WNR200 or similar router?

I have been having trouble with those models in various households. WPA2 never seems to work.

WPA2 can normally be set to use either AES or TKIP encryption. Whichever one you're using, try the other one.

Will I end up having to change anything on other wireless items if I do try the other encryption I presume?

Will I end up having to change anything on other wireless items if I do try the other encryption I presume?

If you're using N, you have to use AES. TKIP will only give you 54g. Also, make sure you haven't disabled WMM (Wi-Fi Multimedia) on the router wireless settings as this is also required for N speeds.

That said, MAC filtering is 100% pointless, so if it works with it off, just leave it off. MAC spoofing is trivial, so it provides no protection against any sort of attack.

Hey, i knew this was going to come up, i had the same problem at a customers house with wpa2 and the new slimline xbox, never got it working. ANY ideas guys ?

I'm using AES now in the setup. Double checked and the mac is RIGHT. At this point it might be useless due to spoofing, but damnit I want it to at least work right ya know. WMM is enabled.

I'm using AES now in the setup. Double checked and the mac is RIGHT. At this point it might be useless due to spoofing, but damnit I want it to at least work right ya know. WMM is enabled.

the only way i got mine to work, was to create another W-vlan, and use no security. :(

disable mac filtering and see how it works?

disable wpa2 and try wpa.

I have been using WPA mostly to minimize issues

well it connects fine with wpa2 and the passphrase so it's probably not a wpa2 issue, but ONLY when I enable the mac filter. I just like having both layers ya know.

well it connects fine with wpa2 and the passphrase so it's probably not a wpa2 issue, but ONLY when I enable the mac filter. I just like having both layers ya know.

Mine connected no problems to my WPA2 network with a passphrase. I don't bother with MAC filtering though, as it doesn't do shit.

People still do MAC filtering? I haven't bothered in years, spoofing a wireless MAC address is a trivial affair. All MAC filtering does is make it less convenient for your own devices to connect.

well it was sending the wired mac instead of the wireless. It still is, that's screwy. so no wonder it would go down when I'd enable the filter. what is up with that?

Who cares? Disable filtering, it's pointless and a PITA to maintain.

Hey man, I also had a hell of a time getting my 360 slim on our wireless network. It would find the network but fail the connection test. I also have a MAC filter set up, and it wouldn't work even though I used the wireless MAC address in the 360's wireless settings. Now, the 360 has separate wired and wireless MAC addresses. I added the wired one to the filter (so now the filter contains both) and its worked perfectly ever since. Might want to try that and see if it fixes your issue.
:)

This is a couple days old, but I just picked up the WirelessN adapter for my original 360, and I can confirm that my router sees the same MAC address that it did when I was using the ethernet port. Good for me, since I didn't have to mess with the DHCP reservation I already had set up.

Back