Problem with New WNDR4000 Router

p0lish

Gawd
I just replaced my old router with a new WNDR4000. I have one slight problem however. I live in an apartment, and the media center in my bedroom is only about 15feet away(through 1 wall). Using a WNDA3100v2 dual band adapter, i cannot connect at high speed. I'm running a wireless G network, and a wireless n network(up to 450). In the wireless network settings, it says that the Wireless G network has a connection strength of 78%, while the Wireless N network has a connection strength of 32%. That seems odd. Am i configuring something wrong? Did i miss a setting?

thanks,

bill

G devices might be slowing you down. My g wireless bridge slows down my n devices when it' s connected. This is on a wndr3700

Why would the signal strength be different? That's what doesn't make sense.

Different routers have different radio characteristics. Try moving the WNDR4000 around. Try the vertical position. Try horizontal, etc.

I just replaced my old router with a new WNDR4000. I have one slight problem however. I live in an apartment, and the media center in my bedroom is only about 15feet away(through 1 wall). Using a WNDA3100v2 dual band adapter, i cannot connect at high speed. I'm running a wireless G network, and a wireless n network(up to 450). In the wireless network settings, it says that the Wireless G network has a connection strength of 78%, while the Wireless N network has a connection strength of 32%. That seems odd. Am i configuring something wrong? Did i miss a setting?

thanks,

bill

This at first does not make sense. But if I make assumptions this can make perfect sense.

Seeing two different signal strengths does not happen unless you are connecting to two different radios/or frequencies.

32% at 15' is possible running Wireless N at 5Ghz. AND the same unit would connect at 78% using wireless G.

Try turning the 5Ghz radio off and connecting via 2.4Ghz wireless N with ONE device. You should be able to get a 150mbps connect with a signal strength of 78%. BTW the way they calculate 450mbps is 300mbps on the one radio + 150mbps on the other radio

Later,

Mackintire

a 50% drop in signal though? it's only going approx 20-30ft.

Completely possible at 5Ghz. 5Ghz does not like to go through walls as well at 2.4Ghz. This is one of the reasons I ditched my 5Ghz wireless phones as soon as the 1.9Ghz DECT phones came out. My old Sony 900mhz wireless phone worked over a 1000' from the house. The 5ghz unit couldn t even make it to the end of the driveway. The newer 1.9Ghz unit does work....which is convenient when I am using the lan-line while getting the mail.

Now if i compared this to a WNDR3700 router, i should see similar results, correct? I am mainly streaming media around my apt, and one of my computers had the new 450mbps chip, so i upgraded to try it out.

Correct the WNDR3700 has the same radios as the WNDR4000 The feature set is a little different. Smallnetbuilder did IXchariot testing of the 3 stream adapter, under idea conditions you see a small improvement. For streaming HD I would stick to a lower data rate. The lower data rate is less peaky and more constant in transfer. That's my advice but it's your configuration to do with as you please.

Completely possible at 5Ghz. 5Ghz does not like to go through walls as well at 2.4Ghz. This is one of the reasons I ditched my 5Ghz wireless phones as soon as the 1.9Ghz DECT phones came out. My old Sony 900mhz wireless phone worked over a 1000' from the house. The 5ghz unit couldn t even make it to the end of the driveway. The newer 1.9Ghz unit does work....which is convenient when I am using the lan-line while getting the mail.

I had a good signal with my WNDR3700 with the router in the same location. My new computer with the 450mbps chip has a great signal, it's just the 300mpbs devices that don't seem to be working. I might just go back to my 3700 because this seems really odd.

Back