timtheenchantor
Gawd
- Joined
- Jun 17, 2005
- Messages
- 962
Ok, let me explain my situation.
My father had an old Asus with a AGP slot and it was an AMD system. So I went out and bout him pretty much everything that was included with the Holiday System Building guide on the main page. The only things I didnt get were the hard-drives and cd-rom drives. Now, when I built the system, and plugged in the hard-drive, I got no sensible information. After enabling some IDE/Sata controllers in the BIOS, I get to a point where I cant get to the BIOS anymore -- instead it goes to a raid configuration utility. It doesnt give me time to hit delete, and if I do..it freezes on the mobo's screen.
Now this hard-drive is an IDE hard-drive. It is the WD1600. My cdrom is IDE as well and I cant use both as per the configuration of the mobo. But I even connected the cdrom on the open case to try and boot into Windows Xp...so far no go. So I tried to connect that into the old setup, and it was a no-go. The computer turned on then turned off before it even came on screen. So I decided I'll put it in my desktop. Turns out, the hard-drive actually didnt work there either. And when I put my hard-drives back in, the system would not boot or detect either hard-drives. So I replaced the cable and all was fine and dandy with my computer.
Now I'm trying to figure out if his hard-drive is gone or what. It has not made any clicking noises recently, but it is about 4 1/2 years old. But it worked perfectly fine earlier today.
Here's the mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813128012
Here's the hard-drive:
http://www.nextag.com/Western-Digit.../prices-html?nxtg=ce0a200505-E43517B0A5373810
Any ideas would be awesome.
My father had an old Asus with a AGP slot and it was an AMD system. So I went out and bout him pretty much everything that was included with the Holiday System Building guide on the main page. The only things I didnt get were the hard-drives and cd-rom drives. Now, when I built the system, and plugged in the hard-drive, I got no sensible information. After enabling some IDE/Sata controllers in the BIOS, I get to a point where I cant get to the BIOS anymore -- instead it goes to a raid configuration utility. It doesnt give me time to hit delete, and if I do..it freezes on the mobo's screen.
Now this hard-drive is an IDE hard-drive. It is the WD1600. My cdrom is IDE as well and I cant use both as per the configuration of the mobo. But I even connected the cdrom on the open case to try and boot into Windows Xp...so far no go. So I tried to connect that into the old setup, and it was a no-go. The computer turned on then turned off before it even came on screen. So I decided I'll put it in my desktop. Turns out, the hard-drive actually didnt work there either. And when I put my hard-drives back in, the system would not boot or detect either hard-drives. So I replaced the cable and all was fine and dandy with my computer.
Now I'm trying to figure out if his hard-drive is gone or what. It has not made any clicking noises recently, but it is about 4 1/2 years old. But it worked perfectly fine earlier today.
Here's the mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813128012
Here's the hard-drive:
http://www.nextag.com/Western-Digit.../prices-html?nxtg=ce0a200505-E43517B0A5373810
Any ideas would be awesome.