Problem with new-built comp

Ikrit

n00b
Joined
Jan 3, 2005
Messages
27
I just finished assembling all of my parts which arrived in the mail today, and I plugged the power supply in and pressed the power button and... and, well, nothing.
Only the fans which are hooked up directly to the power supply work. I think the problem might be with the power cable that plugs into the motherboard, but it looks like it's all the way down there.

Please help.
 
Give us an idea of what you're working with, here (components list). The power cable itself is rarely ever to blame. The power supply, maybe, but we have no idea what you have. What is hooked up to the motherboard other than the power supply? Do you hear the drives spinning up? Do you get any beep codes? Have you tried resetting the CMOS?
 
Everything is plugged in: cd drives, hard drives, fans, floppy. PSU is a n Ultra X-connect 500-watt, mobo is DFI Lanparty UT nf4 Ultra-D. Amd Athlon 64 3000+. 2 WD 80gb Caviars,
and some lite-on optical drives. The Atx power cable from the power supply was very unhappy about going in to the slot on the motherboard, and it doesn't look like it has gone all the way down.
 
sorry- it's late at night. I wasn't thinking anout components listing when I posted at first.

Also, the ATX cable to the mobo won't come out of the slot.
 
I've mostly read bad things about that PSU over at the power supplies forum, but it shouldn't be giving you problems anyway. Again, do you hear the drives spinning up when attempting to power it up? And there's no reason for the ATX power cable to be giving you problems... The cable should have a little latch kind of thing on the plug's side that should lock with where it plugs into the motherboard. If it's not completely in, then yeah, something's wrong.

Steps I'd take would be to reset the CMOS (never hurts) and remove all unnecesary components (only 1 stick of RAM, PSU, motherboard, vid card, proc are needed to power up succesfully).
 
no drives, no cpu fan, no back case fan. power button doesn't do anything. actually, my mobo has a hard-wired power button inside the case as well, but that doesn't work either.
 
Take the atx cable out and cheak the pins. If they are bent, try to make the straight then plug it in.
 
Back
Top