Problem with Nero - wont burn DVDs but WILL burn CDs?

the lone gunman

Limp Gawd
as the title says: i installed nero 6 as i have done a 1000 times before. but this time for sume reason it wont burn DVDs but will burn CDs fine .

for starters:

i know that my DVD wrighter drive is ok no falts and i know the media i am useing is ok too as i have tested it on my 2nd rig.

problem:

here is what it is doing - i go to add files to make a data dvd, fine no problems click next, make sure its target is my sony wrighter D: drive, no problems, click burn and nero starts to cache the files to be burnt but it seams to have a problem spinning up my drive its like the drive is dead and it wont spin up. so i try to eject the dvd and it wont eject so i try to end task as its just hangin and it wont end so each time i try its a case of re-starting my PC.

now i know the drive is not dead as i can play dvds read data dvds burn CDs and generaly use the drive in every way.

what i have tryed is to intall uninstall nero 6 , 3 times now and still no luck.

im using winxp sp2

the lone gunman

Limp Gawd
ok no one can tell me what the problem might be, NP:) however can anyone tell me if there is a good free prog for backing up my files to dvd (data dvds) at least this way i can try to see if any other prog works.....

TechLarry

Can't find the G Spot
I think you might need this patch:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816736/en-us

Only applies to XP SP1.

I've seen this patch fix more than the eject issue, so it may be worth a try.

-Larry

as the title says: i installed nero 6 as i have done a 1000 times before. but this time for sume reason it wont burn DVDs but will burn CDs fine .

for starters:

i know that my DVD wrighter drive is ok no falts and i know the media i am useing is ok too as i have tested it on my 2nd rig.

problem:

here is what it is doing - i go to add files to make a data dvd, fine no problems click next, make sure its target is my sony wrighter D: drive, no problems, click burn and nero starts to cache the files to be burnt but it seams to have a problem spinning up my drive its like the drive is dead and it wont spin up. so i try to eject the dvd and it wont eject so i try to end task as its just hangin and it wont end so each time i try its a case of re-starting my PC.

now i know the drive is not dead as i can play dvds read data dvds burn CDs and generaly use the drive in every way.

what i have tryed is to intall uninstall nero 6 , 3 times now and still no luck.

im using winxp sp2

PTNL

[H]ardness Supreme
some "needle in a haystack" suggestions...

1 - goto sony's website, and look for any firmware flashes for your particular burner
2 - if you haven't installed the latest update for nero 6, get that and run it

and even if you have already updated to the latest version of nero, i've personally seen a few cases where re-running the updater has fixed random problems.

and a bit off-topic ...
... sume ... DVD wrighter ... sony wrighter ... i have tryed
from what i have tried, some optical writers work better than others :D

the lone gunman

Limp Gawd
thanks for the advice, i know i havent given you much to go on but i have run this configuration many many times before, just this time its acting the fool. gonna format / reinstall windows see it that helps, i may have a bad OS install.:rolleyes: