• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Problem with my system, power supply suspected

simko1ra

Weaksauce
Joined
Mar 12, 2006
Messages
88
Hopefully this isn't a repost, if it is I appologize.

For the past month or so my system has been acting up. My motherboard keeps throwing out C1 errors (occasionally 0.0 and c5 errors as well) and refusing to post. It usually takes me about 30 minutes powering up and down the system before it finally boots, then everything runs perfectly until the next shutdown/restart. The same problem occurs even if I try only running with a single stick of ram and the odds of all 4 sticks going bad are very slim, especially since they work great once the system boots.

I have the latest bios installed on the motherboard and it autodetects the ram voltages so it doesn't appear that the ram is being undervolted. When the system starts they are running at 2.2v, which is correct.

The system is currently not being overclocked but it has been in the past.

I am hoping that the issue is the power supply and not the motherboard, but I really don't want to start randomly RMA'ing parts without knowing the cause.

Is there anyway to diagnose the problem if I don't have a spare power supply and/or motherboard available? Any help is greatly appreciated.

System Info:
Abit IP35 Pro
Intel Q6600
Crucial Ballistix Tracer (4x1gb) DDR2 800
Nvidia 8800gts 512mb
Corsair HX620
3 Hard Drives (500gb, 500gb, 1.5tb)
 
Sounds like it could be one of a number of possibilities, including a faulty board, PSU, or RAM. My first suggestion is to try running Memtest on all of your sticks and see if anything comes up. Next, test your PSU's voltages properly using a digital multimeter. If both of those things check out, then your motherboard is probably the issue. Unfortunately, there's no way to directly test your motherboard without having a spare available, but the other two tests should give you a pretty good indication of where the problem is.
 
That's what I figured. Unfortunately I don't have a digital multimeter, nor would I have any idea how to use it.

I suppose I will keep an eye out for a good deal on a higher wattage, highly rated power supply and swap when I get the chance. If the problem is still there, I will assume it is the motherboard. I have a hard time believing the problem is with the ram since all 4 sticks would have to be bad since the issue is still there if I try to boot with a single stick (I've tried them all).
 
The system is currently not being overclocked but it has been in the past.

Crucial's can die suddenly, and at any time. E.g. mine definitely started acting funny before my 2 week vacation, and by the time I came back (PC was turned off the whole time), the sticks were dead on the next boot. However, I had the obvious looooong beep x infinity code, which is the tell-tale of dead Crucial sticks.

Since you aren't experiencing this, however, I suspect this is more likely mobo/NB related since you can actually boot into Windows (albeit occasionally). I'd try bumping NBv up two steps - yes, even if you're at stock.

*oh and strongly suggested, but for picky ram like Crucial, I'd set, at the very minimum, the X-X-X-X settings and voltage so the BIOS doesn't auto that junk. To be conservative, 5-5-5-18 @ 2.2v, would be the setting I'd use.
 
Back
Top