Problem with my setup?

SevenWords

Limp Gawd
I recently finished my first custom WC setup ( I had previously used a packaged swiftech kit on another computer ) and am kind of unhappy with the results I've gotten. I built the system with the goals of a quieter system and a mild overclock on my Q6600 ( to about 3.2 or so ), but my base temps seem to be higher than what I thought they should be. I don't know if I have a bad mount, if my setup isn't enough for a quad and a 7900gto, or if this really about right.

My setup

Right now using coretemp I'm getting 33-37C across the cores ( this is with no OC ). Before starting this I looked at several people with similar setups and they were getting 28-32C. My only ideas for right now are to get some higher CFM fans for the rad and possibly removing the video card from the loop. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

What are the GPU temps under water? If load-idle delta does not fluctuate as much, it might be a badly seated CPU block.

What's your room temperature?

I don't have a thermometer in the room but if I had to guess around 70-72 F.

What are the GPU temps under water? If load-idle delta does not fluctuate as much, it might be a badly seated CPU block.

CPUID reports GPU temp as 36C.

I haven't really tried this computer under load yet as I thought my normal temps were high, and didn't want to push it until I knew why.

Your temps seem pretty decent to me. When not overclocked, my Q6600 runs between 28 and 30c, but I don't have my GPU in the loop. Under OC at 3.0 ghz, my system idles at 34c, no gpu in the loop. Adding the GPU seems to me like it would add a couple of degrees.

As long as your peak temps are ok then I'd say you are fine. Mine doesn't peak above 40. On the other hand, my GPU block wasn't made for the 775 and may not be optimized for this layout (or quad procs).

Edit: My temps weren't right in my original post. I have since reseated the water block and now they idle between 21-24 degrees at 3.2 ghz. I don't think it was making proper contact.

I figured when I put this rig together that a 2x120 and a 1x120 rad would be enough to cover both of them but I'm not sure. I'm going to try reseating the block in a few days when i swap out my fans (I picked up some S-Flex fans). Hopefully that will get me to where I want to be at in terms of temps.

What speed are your fans at?

I gain some heat in my system with my fans at 5 volts, but I don't worry about it.

4C isn't a huge difference to worry about anyways.

Do you have the nozzle for your D-Tek? That might help if you don't. If I am viewing your rig right you went to your gpu block then to the cpu block. That would also make a difference, very small but still. I would try a reroute to the BIP II, D-tek, EK FC79 then to BIP. Just my 2 cents.

Eh, at stock, my Q6600 was idling at 32c... and I've got a quadrouple radiator.

I'd say we're about even TBH.

Maybe reseat with less thermal paste.

Do you have the nozzle for your D-Tek? That might help if you don't. If I am viewing your rig right you went to your gpu block then to the cpu block. That would also make a difference, very small but still. I would try a reroute to the BIP II, D-tek, EK FC79 then to BIP. Just my 2 cents.

For the Fuzion nozzles do you have to disassemble the block to install it or can you just remove the center barb and put it in? I know the kit comes with a washer to install between the midplate to help bow the block, but I don't know if it's required.

I really don't want to change loop order, since I think my tubing runs work pretty well. Also I've heard that loop order doesn't really matter, as the fluid hits a certain temp and stays there.

For a quiet setup you used the wrong rad. BIP's need much higher CFM fans to keep the temps down, due to how dense they are. You should have went with a PA120.3 or MCR320 which both can use low to mid CFM fans.

For a quiet setup you used the wrong rad. BIP's need much higher CFM fans to keep the temps down, due to how dense they are. You should have went with a PA120.3 or MCR320 which both can use low to mid CFM fans.

No, that's not true... The Swiffy MCR series is between 1-5% better than the HWlabs BIP... And the Thermochill PA series is only about 20% better than the BIP. All with the same 1200rpm yate loon fans.

It's the Black ice GTS or BIX series that requires stronger fans.

But, OP, I can't quite figure out what the problem is. What fans are you using? What's your room temperature? And remember that your CPU comes after the GPU, something that's not typical of these sorts of loops... That alone could account for a 2-4' difference.

Back