Problem with my Q9450?

Maepling

n00b
For around the last 30 days I have had the rig in my sig up and running. Its been flawless. I've been playing Supreme Commander, Sin's of a Solar Empire, Battlefield 2, etc. I've even managed to get Crysis running on high settings at 1600 x 1200 resolution with playable framerates (just barely) which I never dreamed would be possible on a P4 no matter what graphics card I used. I love my rig and have been patiently awaiting a Q9450 to top it off.

Problem is my Q9450 arrived today and when I popped it in and hit the power button all the lights and fans came on but then nothing else happened. No beeps, no post, nada. My monitor power light stays amber. My motherboard has a Diagnostic LCD to help me diagnose problems. The LCD doesn't even come on. My Ballistix Tracers tracers don't even come on. It just sits there with all the fans running full blast. I popped the P4 back in and everything is once again flawless. I retried the Q9450 and again....nada.

I've tried two different bios's (both of which have been used by other folks with the same motherboard with success). I've tried clearing the CMOS with 3 different methods. I've swapped out the processors 3 times now and its always the same result. I am actually writing this post with the P4 popped back in.

Is there anything I haven't tried that might help? Did I simply get shipped a bum processor? Common sense would seem to suggest so since its the only component that seems to have an issue but I have to ask. It feels like such a cruel joke to get the one bad one in stock after waiting for so long.

Strange.

Maybe you need to...oh hell, I don't know :p

^ Haha, I love to see the funny side of humans!

OP: Sounds like you have it narrowed down to about 99% that it's a bum processor. If you want to be 100% sure then you'll need to pop in a different 9450 that you know works, or at least a different 45nm chip. This way there won't be any doubt whatsoever. Good luck!

Well...did you find out if your board actually support 45nm cpu before you bought it?

I was wondering if you might put your P4 back in and flash the bios. Also if you were oc'ing you might go in and set your speeds and timings back to default

Yeah the DFI P35-T2R is a P35 chipset and supports 45nm. As stated initially, I tried 2 different bios revisions (both supporting the 45nm processors on that board).

No overclocking was ever done.

Tried that too. Even moved the one stick around from slot 1 to 2 and back. No luck. Got an RMA # today. They are picking up the shipping tab so in the end it won't cost me anything but yeesh. Back to waiting. I think this time I will stick with retail and skip the OEM.

Well my first suggestion would of been to check the pins on the bottom of the processor to ensure that one wasn't bent but of course with socket LGA775 the pins are now in the socket of the motherboard so you don't have to worry about that problem any more. If your boards BIOS fully supports the processor then it does sound like you may of gotten a bum CPU. I guess you'll know for sure when you get the replacement.

Back