• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Problem with motherbord and E8400

orangeble

Weaksauce
Joined
Dec 19, 2007
Messages
104
I just bought the E8400 and am having problems getting it to work on my motherboard (MSI P6N SLI-FI, NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI). The computer won't boot with the new CPU installed. I updated the bios to the latest version that supposedly supports the E8400, and it seems to have installed correctly since my computer still works with my old Pentium D processor and the new bios. In addition, I replicated the problem in another computer with the same motherboard and the E8400 would not work there either.

So my question is:
Is my CPU deffective (DOA) or do I need to purchase a new motherboard to get this to work? I've tried reinstalling everything a couple of times and in different computers, all with the same result. Any help would be appreciated!

(Currently running Windows Vista 32bit)
 
I have the same MB as you and an 8400 CPU. It works fine, no problems. Are you sure the Bios update took? The MB comes with Bios ver. 1.4. Using Liveupdate I brought it to ver 1.6., installed the CPU and it worked without problems. Did you check your Bios or CPU-Z to see if in fact you have Ver. 1.6? If so, I agree with the previous poster,it could be your CPU. Sorry I cant help more, my computer savvy is rather limited.
 
Did you clear the cmos?
I recommend to do a full cmos clear via the jumper.
My asus p5n32esliplus also had issues booting until I cleared the cmos. Even after clearing you need to make sure all your voltages are correct.
 
^^ I have the version 2.5 bios update, that was the latest one that was available from the MSI site. Did I download the wrong Bios update?

^ What is the cmos (I'm a computer noob)?
 
The motherboard CMOS is a battery powered chip that stores your BIOS settings.
You can look at your motherboard info page on the MFG's site or your user manual to get instructions for clearing the CMOS with jumpers, and some boards have a CMOS reset button.
 
explain "wont boot". does it post at all? do you get any beep codes? does your board have any kind of diagnostic lights? when you put your old cpu in the board does it boot?
 
explain "wont boot". does it post at all? do you get any beep codes? does your board have any kind of diagnostic lights? when you put your old cpu in the board does it boot?

The computer turns on but it dosen't post or send any video signals to the monitor. It also made a slightly strange whirring sound from the fan.

Also, I actually wasn't the one who installed it (again, I'm a computer noob), and the person who did install said that they cleared the CMOS.
 
This probably won't help now, but RMA the cpu. A received a bad CPU and thought it was my Mobo. My Mobo booted with a p4. Got a new e8400 and POST.
 
^ Thats what I'm acutally trying now. I figure that if it didn't work in two computers that it should have been able to work in, then the processor might be bad. If it still dosen't work afterwards, I can always buy a new motherboard.
 
Back
Top