Problem with MBR uninitialized in Windows

bpmcleod

Limp Gawd
I have a raid setup for Disk 0 on my PC in Sata slots 1 and 2. Upon adding a 3rd hard drive into the Sata 3 port, Disk 0 and the new Disk 1 both uninitialized and went offline, causing Disk 0 to no longer be the MBR and somehow reverted the System boot to an external drive had connected as Disk 2. Is there an easy way to fix this? Or am I basically looking at a fresh install back onto Disk 0?

You need to take a good look at your hardware setup. Because the raid won't just self-destruct when you connect another drive. Did you knock loose a cable or something when you added the new drive for example?

I think it was something a bit simpler. I think I somehow installed windows to the external drive. Which is odd, becuase I installed windows OFF the external drive and then onto it off itself.. Somehow.. I must have not been paying attention when I did it evidently..

Years ago, I reinstalled windows (7?) on a rig with multiple drives. I'm not a newb, and I paid close attention. After a year or two, after a lot of frustrating problems, I realized that the OS had installed parts of itself on TWO drives. WTF, right?

Now, no matter what I think, I physically disconnect all non-OS drives when installing an OS. Then immediately disconnect the loading source (usually a USB stick), reboot, and run an integrity check. Next is fully updating the OS, running a virus/malware check, THEN backing it up to an external drive. Only after that do I hook up other drives.

Years ago, I reinstalled windows (7?) on a rig with multiple drives. I'm not a newb, and I paid close attention. After a year or two, after a lot of frustrating problems, I realized that the OS had installed parts of itself on TWO drives. WTF, right?

Now, no matter what I think, I physically disconnect all non-OS drives when installing an OS. Then immediately disconnect the loading source (usually a USB stick), reboot, and run an integrity check. Next is fully updating the OS, running a virus/malware check, THEN backing it up to an external drive. Only after that do I hook up other drives.

I am not sure I am this patient of a man lol.. I did, however, reinstall Windows 10 onto the correct RAID array.. So all is good now! lol

I almost installed the OS to the wrong drive just a week ago. Never risk it--it takes only a few seconds to pull an sata cable.

Back