slushpuppy
n00b
- Joined
- Sep 1, 2004
- Messages
- 22
Hi,
Earlier today I backed up all my data to my external Maxtor Onetouch II 250GB drive, then swapped out my old system (XP) and hooked it up to a new system (Vista). The drive wasn't recognized in Vista - when I looked in disk management, it detected the drive, but its status was "unallocated". Thinking it was a Vista problem, I tried rehooking up my previous XP box just to make sure it could still recognize the drive there, but it didn't - disk management in XP now also listed the drive as "unallocated".
I didn't do anything to the drive that could've caused this when swapping computers, I'm doubtful that the HD just randomly failed after working with no problems for months, but does anyone have any idea what could have caused this, and if there's a possible fix? Reformatting is out of the question, as I have a significant amount of data on the drive that I need.
Thanks in advance!
Earlier today I backed up all my data to my external Maxtor Onetouch II 250GB drive, then swapped out my old system (XP) and hooked it up to a new system (Vista). The drive wasn't recognized in Vista - when I looked in disk management, it detected the drive, but its status was "unallocated". Thinking it was a Vista problem, I tried rehooking up my previous XP box just to make sure it could still recognize the drive there, but it didn't - disk management in XP now also listed the drive as "unallocated".
I didn't do anything to the drive that could've caused this when swapping computers, I'm doubtful that the HD just randomly failed after working with no problems for months, but does anyone have any idea what could have caused this, and if there's a possible fix? Reformatting is out of the question, as I have a significant amount of data on the drive that I need.
Thanks in advance!