Problem with Maxtor One Touch external HD

Joined
Sep 11, 2006
Messages
56
I built a new system and everything works fine except for this one external hardrive. Basically the system sees the device because in the device manager it is listed and it says it is working fine but I cannot for the life of me get the actual drive to show under the hard disk drives section of my computer.

I have another maxtor external drive but it is not a one touch system and that works fine. i

I put MOST of my data on this drive when I rebuilt and I have to get it working.

Any ideas?
 
Start->run->"diskmgmt.msc", and add a partition and format it.

 
umm if I partition it and format it won't I lose the information?

That I cannot do.

I've moved that drive aroudn to lots of different boxes and I have never had a problem not showing the drive.
 
Sorry, I misread. I didn't realize you had data on it.

Could you take it out of its case and connect it directly? That would eliminate potential problems with the chipset. Also, a Linux boot disk may be able to tell you more about the problem, if you've got experience with it.

 
Back
Top