Problem with Linksys WRV54 and Dell 9300.

My laptop can connect to the router wirelessly, but after conencted even with the signal at "excellent" I can not do anything. When pinging the router I get 5 or 6 success and then 2-3 minutes of timed out and then 5 or 6 more sucesses.

I bring my laptop to work and connect to workds wireless network and it works fine,

At home I connect my PDA to the wireless network and it works great with no problem.

So I'm a bit lost, my a laptop works elsewhere, and other devices work at home. It successfully connects and get an IP Address through DHCP and then fails to ping the router except for a couple seconds here and there.

I know my signal sucks due to interference at home since there are no less than 15 wireless networks visible at any given time (8 of which are not secure, and 3 have the persons name as the SSID).

It has been working fine. Last night my wife tried to use the wireless and it failed to work. I restarted the router. No change.

Any ideas?

I've been working on this and just can not figure it out. I keep changing settings and get ni change. It connects with no problem shows some traffic until it gets an IP and then goes on periods of 3-5 minutes with no access and then a few more seconds of traffic, then nothing.

I really need to get this going within the next few weeks, before my wife starts school again.

The wrv54 had some growing pains...firmware wise. Make sure you have the latest.
Since you have lots of other neighboring WLANs..make sure your SSID is unique..and try different channels..such as 1 or 11. Also make sure your admin password has been changed. For security..use WPA or WPA2, not old WEP.

Yes lattest firmware, unique SSID, different channel, etc. No problem for about 3 months, and then it all stopped working with the laptop. I would think it was the laptop except for the fact that it works with works network. I did try a few of the open ones around here as a test and none of those work either.

So I'm thinking that maybe the internal wireless on the laptop might be getting interference. I might just go and get a cheap USB wireless NIC and see if it works.

Back