Problem with linksys 5 port switch

mrtheshaggy

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a dell inspirasion 5160 and my roomate has a Sony vaio lap top. They are both new and have winXP home sp1. They both have the 1394 and wireless connections disabled and the the nic enabled.

the dell has a broadcom 10/100 nic and the sony has a intel pro/100

We have the cox internet cable modem (motorola). It is connected to a linksys 5 port auto sensing switch. My computer is in port 1 and his sony is in port 2.

We both setup our the network as "this computer connects to the internet through a hub..." and we both disabled our firewalls.

Yet only one of our computers can get on the internet at a time. Both wont work at the same time.

What are we doing wrong?

Your modem is a router also? Does it have DHCP setup?

If you just have a modem and not router your service is probably only allowing 1 IP address.

Scheizekopf said:
Your modem is a router also? Does it have DHCP setup?

If you just have a modem and not router your service is probably only allowing 1 IP address.

Its just a straight up motorola modem with a cat5 and usb port on the back of it.

My guess is your cable service like many others is only providing 1 live IP for your service and that one IP is being sent to both comptuers via that switch. Well, BOTH PC's need different IP's in order to acess the internet. Most cable companies won't give you more then one 1 IP and they are dynamic so they change every few days. Im willing to bet its a Motorola Sufboard 5100 which is a very good modem, but it can't give out multiple IP's and it doesn't do NAT

Best solution is to buy a router like a Linksys or a D-Link and hook it up to the cable modem. That way it provides multiple, private IP's using NAT. This gives each computer a seperate IP and then they both can be on the internet.

You hit the nail dead center. Thanks.

Ill look into getting one. Never though Id see the day my trusty little switch failed me :(

Thanks again!

IceWind said:
Best solution is to buy a router like a Linksys or a D-Link and hook it up to the cable modem. That way it provides multiple, private IP's using NAT. This gives each computer a seperate IP and then they both can be on the internet.

Yup.

You need a router with a switch built in. Or a router that you can plug your current switch into.

mrtheshaggy said:
You hit the nail dead center. Thanks.

Ill look into getting one. Never though Id see the day my trusty little switch failed me :(

Thanks again!
The switch didnt fail. It just doesnt work in that particular network setup. You could still use it with a router if you wanted.

Why not get wireless? You may not use it now, but very soon I gaurentee you'll get a laptop or wanna your friend will have one, or you'll wanna use your Xbox across the dorm room or something. Either way, my personall fav has been the WRT54g or 54Gs. With the newest firmware, they are rock solid, fast, reliable and very easy to setup.

WRT54Gs

Also, your switch didn't fail you, its simply limited to what its designed to do, which is filter traffic based upon MAC addresses and allow multilple computers to connect at one single point, its not designed to hand out IP addresses, thats a routers or a DHCP servers job

Back