Problem with IPCONFIG

Sky15

2[H]4U
OK when i type in "ipconfig" to run it all it does is come up for 1 second then goes away. I'm trying to renew my IPconfig but i can't seem to get it working? Anyone know the problem?

Ipconfig is a command-line utility, so you need to open a command prompt(cmd) to run ipconfig.

Got it to work. WHat is the command to reknew and remove your IP adresses.

like he said

start > run > cmd then type ipconfig

ipconfig was used for win98 and win95 only.

2k and up have to go in command prompt

MaMMa said:
ipconfig was used for win98 and win95 only.

2k and up have to go in command prompt
ipconfig is used in windows 2000 and windows xp. Windows 95 and 98 used winipcfg.

Why can't MS just allow you to fix your IP in my network places :p I guess they like giving extra business to consultant companies and to rack up the cost of IT support. Seriously, it would only take them maybe three days even if they were going ever so slowly to add some GUI to call ipconfig /renew, release, flushdns, registerdns.

The average XP user can only use the repair feature when you right click on a network connction. I'm not usre what repair does or is supposed to do, but it never worked when I tried it.You wouldn't beleive how many people have trouble with networks because the IP or DNS if off.

Windows 2000/XP
Start > Run > CMD
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

if you'd like a little flavor, you can use
ipconfig -release
ipconfig -renew

-----------------------------------------------------

Windows 95/98/ME
Start > Run > COMMAND
ipconfig /release_all
ipconfig /renew_all

if you'd like a little flavor, you can use
ipconfig -release_all
ipconfig -renew_all

or you can also go to:
Start > Run > WINIPCFG

and do it that way.

Party2go9820 said:
If you want to quarter hairs - Win 98 SE could use either. ;)

If you want to 1/8 hairs...M$ stole the idea of "IPConfig" from *nix's "ifconfig" :p

For the really lazy, winXP, right-click your network connection and select "repair"

It will release/renew as part of the process if you are too lazy to start->run->cmd -ipconfig

On a side note, its a pain in the ass to sit there doing ifconfig on a MS box and cant understand why it wont work... :rolleyes:

Bullitt said:
For the really lazy, winXP, right-click your network connection and select "repair"

It will release/renew as part of the process if you are too lazy to start->run->cmd -ipconfig

On a side note, its a pain in the ass to sit there doing ifconfig on a MS box and cant understand why it wont work... :rolleyes:

Yeah whoever stole that apparently didn't implement ifconfig well... :p

Back