Problem with internet, Help appreciated!

diesiel

Limp Gawd
Today, everything is working fine thus far, I go to my soccer game, come back and my internet doesn't wanna work. No biggie i thought, maybe unplugged ethernet cable, i tried plugging it in, but it was already in there securley,so that was to no avail.

I can access my main internet computers files and whatnot thru my computer, but the internet just wont work(It does, however work on my main computer). My bros internet also does not work so i have no clue what it might be.

NOTHING was changed between the time i left and came back, so im totally clueless, i tried everything but nothing friggin works. I am on a router, if that matters, but never had problems with it before. Does anyone have any clues as to what might cause the internet to not work? while the network itself has no issues.....

diesiel said:
I can access my main internet computers files and whatnot thru my computer, but the internet just wont work(It does, however work on my main computer). My bros internet also does not work so i have no clue what it might be.

NOTHING was changed between the time i left and came back, so im totally clueless, i tried everything but nothing friggin works. I am on a router, if that matters, but never had problems with it before. Does anyone have any clues as to what might cause the internet to not work? while the network itself has no issues.....

....uh.... yeah.

First off - lots of things can cause your internet connection to not work, while your home network functions perfectly fine.
But generally in order for anyone to actually be able to help you we will need some basic information.

Type of internet connection (company might help since Comcast cable has had problems all week).
The layout of the computer network (you mentioned you had a router, but not the type or the number of computers connected).
The operating systems you have on the above mentioned computers.

Finally - before you do anything else, check with your ISP. You (or someone in your house) pays for the service, take advantage of the help desk and call. Sometimes they will have a prerecorded message explaining a local outage, sometimes they don't know about the problem yet.

Just turn everything off. Modems, routers, switches, computers. and then turn them on in this order: modem>router>computers. You'd be amazed at what a good reboot will fix.

Alright, im going to try that; but to answer all previous questions:

Company is rogers@home

3 comps connected, all under windows xp, 1 laptop, 2 Pc's (all relatively new).

Nothing is wrong with the area because i can connect with my main internet computer,

but with my other computers, i can connect thru the network but not to the internet.

Sounds like a DNS problem. Does the computer that works on the internet have the DNS servers manually entered in and the ones that are not working getting the DNS servers from your router?

Have you tried to manually assign DNS servers to the non-working boxes?

From the non-working boxes, can you ping 66.94.234.13? (yahoo.com) If so, but can't ping www.yahoo.com then you have a DNS problem.

If you can plug a differenet computer directly into your modem, bypassing all routers. Anything in the form of spyware floating around maybe?

No, i cannt ping either. Oh btw i just chcecked, i have like a hub/switch or something.

but this just doesnt make any sense, right before i left, everything worked fine, when i get

back, doesnt work. (nothing was touched in between)

So you might have a crossover cable or a stright through cable with your hub/switch having a button to make it a crossover port.

Make sure you have link light between your hub/switch and router.

Im not quite sure what you're saying, but the switch is fine, all the lights are on where they should be etc. The internet on my main computer WORKS. Nothing is wrong with the network itself, but the internet just doesn't work (on my other 2 comps). I cant sign on to msn, i cant sign on to world of warcraft, Nothing. But i CAN get acess onto my main computer through the network (Folders/files/whatnot).

malingjc said:
Comcast? They've been having huge problems in the past week.
they really have been having bad problems pissing me off. I live in the place comcast started and all Baltimore County, and my internet has been on the fritz for a while now.

diesiel said:
Im not quite sure what you're saying, but the switch is fine, all the lights are on where they should be etc. The internet on my main computer WORKS. Nothing is wrong with the network itself, but the internet just doesn't work (on my other 2 comps). I cant sign on to msn, i cant sign on to world of warcraft, Nothing. But i CAN get acess onto my main computer through the network (Folders/files/whatnot).

You should have a router, not a switch. If you have a switch, only one computer will be able to connect due to the way they do authentication on cable.

Back